Chapter Seven

With the descent of the Enterprise and the subsequent viewing of the Underworld, Kalahn felt her stomach lurch. She’d never been on an airship before, so she had no idea of how normal a straight downward descent was. That wasn’t the problem, though, insomuch as she could see. What the problem was seemed to be the look and feel of the Underworld. It was molten rock and flowing lava; reds and oranges and yellows lurching through brown-black riverbeds, and walls of granite and soot rising up to blot out what light might be present if a sky truly existed. Scary seemed an appropriate word, really. Cecil tried to reassure Kalahn that the place was rather peaceful, despite its appearance, but she didn’t quite know if she believed him. She didn’t quite know much of anything lately.

Off to the southwest sat a squat, rectangular structure that was identified as the palace of the Dwarves. A race only seen on the planet’s surface once in the past three hundred years, the "little people" were studious protectors of the environment, as well as guardians of the Underground’s crystals. They lived together in the palace, nameless since it’s erection, as family. Cecil had rattled on for some time on their descent as to how the people of the Overworld had much to learn from Giott and his clan.

And Risca Tye had probably heard one word of the king’s speech at most. The big monk was hurtling himself over the railing of the Enterprise, attempting to get a better look at the rock and magma below. His grin was a childish one, usually meaning trouble in Kalahn’s experience, but she let him enjoy himself. She was letting Risca do whatever he wanted, really. After being separated from him for the time she was, the Warmage felt as though she owed him something.

They spoke for a while, as the island of Agart came into view over the bow of the airship. Kalahn and Risca had been through a lot as friends, and they saw this new journey as nothing more than another step into the proverbial fire. Of course they were both apprehensive, but not necessarily scared. Risca seemed afraid of nothing, and Kalahn was adept at hiding her fear from everyone- including herself, in most cases.

So the Enterprise made its final descent, landing a bit roughly just to the northeast of the Dwarven palace. Edward was the first to disembark, leaping from the bow before Kain could manage to lower the ladder. The Dragoon followed, then Risca. Before descending himself, Cecil turned to Kalahn with a warm expression registering on his fair face.

"This must be so new to you," the Paladin king said. "I can understand the feeling, if I’m right."

"Well I think you’re pretty much correct, yeah." Kalahn prodded at the deck of the airship with a booted foot. "I don’t know what to expect."

"Just remember that you will have us all to protect you if need be. Not as though you couldn’t protect yourself…what with the number you pulled on Kain."

Cecil laughed then, a hearty noise that comforted Kalahn and at the same time made her a bit more nervous. Nobody was going to let her live that down, were they? Least of all Kain; he’d been giving her strange looks for a while now.

"I hope he doesn’t hate me," Kalahn managed through embarrassed silence.

"Kain?" Cecil replied. "I wouldn’t worry about it. Kain is no one to judge you, milady. Not after everything he put me through five years ago."

Kalahn looked up, curiosity gotten the best of her. "What did he—"

"Best be going," the other said, cutting her off. Cecil slid down the rope ladder to the surface, joining Edward at the shoreline and beckoning for Kalahn to follow. Reluctantly she did, climbing shakily down the ladder herself and nearly slipping a few times. When she reached the ground, Edward caught her with gentle arms.

"Well then," the bard-king said with a sharp exhale. "The palace is right over there. Let’s be on our way before we lose the light."

"Very funny," Kain murmured, taking the lead to avoid personal contact. The rest of the party fell in behind the Dragoon; Edward, then Risca, Kalahn, Nathaniel, and Cecil taking up the rear.

Before them loomed the monumental Dwarven palace. Everywhere, squat spires and jutting ramparts flew skyward in alien patterns. Everything was a pervasive gray, shadowed by the black Underground sky and blotting out the far reds and oranges in their lazy flows. Steam billowed from some towers, traveling to the ceiling and dissipating in tired, airy heaps.

Dwarves roamed the battlements; squat men with lantern eyes and beards the size of full-shorn fleece. They plodded back and forth, wobbling as they walked, exchanging the traditional Dwarf greeting. Rally-ho, they said with friendly fervor, sometimes bowing and sometimes spinning in place. Kalahn was amazed, captivated by these little people. She watched them with marked interest as the party approached the front gates of Giott’s domain.

"Rally-ho!" one Dwarf offered them. Cecil returned the gesture, inquiring as to Giott’s current state of business. Kalahn wasn’t paying attention, really, and neither were Edward or Risca. These three had never been to the Underworld, so their eyes had yet to adjust to the marvels found beneath the Blue Planet’s surface.

Nathaniel simply stood, cold and still as stone. He was awaiting something.

"This place is…truly marvelous." Edward’s wide cobalt eyes reflected the heat and shade of the world around him. The bard king was truly taken in with the Underworld. Kalahn had a funny feeling he wouldn’t leave here without a new song or two.

The girl was brought out of her musing by a lurching sensation. The front gates of the palace had been opened and the party was slowly making their way inside. Edward seemed reluctant to leave the outside behind; his eyes were glued to the lava flows. Risca treaded lightly, always on guard. Nathaniel made his way like the wind, swift and soundlessly. Something was…different about him, the Warmage observed. It wasn’t necessarily good.

Inside, the palace was a flood of torchlight and sound. Dwarves huddled everywhere having their own conversations; most of them over a cup of ale or a plate of roast IceLizard. Lantern eyes greeted the party along with friendly callings of "rally-ho!" at every corner. Kalahn couldn’t help but laugh; these people’s mirth and carefree nature was infectious. She could only guess what their monarch would be like.

They were led straight through the first few rooms into what had to be the throne room. A large hexagonal room with armaments hung from the walls and a large, bone-carved throne sitting at the back wall. Dwarf sentries stood guard at either side of the room, eyeing the party in a less than friendly manner. Well, Kalahn thought, these guys take their jobs seriously.

"King will be here in a minute," a young Dwarf informed Cecil, who bowed in response and stood as regal and royal as he could manage. Kain simply crossed his arms and leaned against a far wall. Risca was attempting to speak with Nathaniel, but the big man was still as cold as stone. Kalahn and Edward simply stood around as though they didn’t belong, staring at the walls and waiting for something to happen.

"Here’s hoping there’s a bit more excitement here, eh?" Edward offered the girl. She smiled a bit, nodding her agreement, and settled into a more relaxed posture.

"Yeah. Have you ever met king Giott?"

"Once, when he came to the Overworld to help Cecil and his friends. Quite a…short man. He’s noble, though. None nobler down here, I would imagine."

"Help?" Kalahn inquired. "Help what?"

The bard king grinned boyishly, tilting his head to the side and taking a soundless breath. "Well it was said that an ancient civilization built a giant out of the materials within the Tower of Bab-il. Apparently this was true, and Cecil’s nemesis during the Crystal Wars found a way to awaken this monstrosity, setting it loose against the Blue Planet. Cecil and his friends, along with the old man Cid- I think you met him?- well, they attempted to get inside the Giant, but to no avail.

"And lo! Here we were. Myself and the Mysidian twins manning the airships. Yang Fang Leiden, king of Fabul, assisting the Sylvans in their own tank. Then there was good king Giott and his Dwarves. We cleared a path and distracted the Giant enough so that Cecil could make his way in and destroy the bugger."

Kalahn grinned at the tale, eager to hear more. Her composure kept, though, and she only nodded in response. "Hmm. So that’s the only time?"

"Unfortunately, yes," Edward replied. "Although today would make for the second time, now wouldn’t it? But today, as with the last time, we are here on business. Must keep up appearances and all that, of course."

A small rustling from behind the party; Kalahn turned to see a Dwarf dressed differently than the rest. He was stockier than his brethren, but a tiny bit shorter as well. His helmet was a red-violet color, crowned with spiraling horns. His beard trailed along on the floor, meeting the cloak he wore which was of the same color as his helmet. The old man’s lantern eyes were a bit dim; weary from something. Kalahn really wondered if this could possibly be the king of the Dwarves walking by her.

But without a doubt it was. Giott took his seat on his oversized throne, snapping cordial gestures at both Cecil and Kain. When the Dwarf king’s eyes met with Nathaniel’s, something happened. Probably outright fear, from Kalahn’s experience. Nathaniel had that effect on people; he could petrify them with a glance.

Giott shook it off, though, and returned his gaze to Cecil. "Welcome to Dwarf lands, king of Baron. What bring you here?"

"Actually, Lord Giott, we aren’t here on a pleasure trip. My brother would best explain things. Nathaniel?""

Cecil waggled a hand toward him and Nathaniel reluctantly followed suit, coming to stand beside his brother. The big man’s gaze was now directed at the stone floor rather than straight ahead like before. Giott still looked as frightened as a child though.

"Y…your Highness, Giott," Nathaniel said in a muted tone, speaking into his chest.

"…Golbeze. What bring you to Blue Planet?"

Nathaniel looked to the king again, his blue-green eyes pleading. "Lord Giott, it is about the Crystal. They are in danger of being usurped once more, but in a much more destructive manner. I was sent here by my uncle, the sage FuSoYa, to set things right."

And then he related the entire tale again. The subversion of the Lunars; Zeromus; the cracking of the crystals; everything. Kalahn was entranced by that story, feeling somehow connected to it on another level. She noticed that Risca gave a strange reaction to it as well; he stared off into space when Nathaniel related the details to Giott, those deep brown eyes immersed in something unearthly. Kalahn just watched the monk, waiting for him to snap back into reality.

Nathaniel finished, and the Dwarven king simply sat there, dumbfounded. Giott apparently could find no words in reaction to what he had just heard. Cecil and the others exchanged taut expressions before the big man rose and took his original position at the back of the room. Nathaniel had become quite shy lately. Perhaps it was his true nature shining through, finally, but Kalahn couldn’t be sure. For some reason, something told her to find out.

"…Lord Giott?" Cecil ventured. "We await your permission to retrieve the crystals from Bab-il tower’s Underground facilities. Would you allow us this?"

"Why should he?"

A strange, syrupy voice rang from beyond the entrance to Giott’s chambers. Everyone turned, nearly in unison, to see who this new person would be. Most definitely a man by the depth and range of those three words, but who?"

Through the door glided a tall, slender man of slightly muscular build. Donning a copper breastplate and the vestments of a mage, he was a contradiction to the sense of sight. His hair was black; short and unruly, jutting about in every direction as if attempting to free itself of his scalp. His eyes were deep gray, deeper that Kain’s. The man wore a simple brass choker and a brass ring through his lip. He was definitely not from around these parts.

"And who might you be?" Kain asked, finally speaking. His tone was acidic.

The man turned slowly to face the Dragoon, a sly smile playing itself against his gaunt features. "My name is Golm. I am Giott’s advisor. His chancellor, if you will. So have I been for nearly six months now, in fact."

"Since when does Giott need help running his own country?" Kain shot back. He didn’t like the looks or attitude of this man, and everyone in the room could tell.

"Since he has begun to grow senile, good Ryuukishi," Golm replied calmly. "Lord Giott is not the man he used to be, and his daughter…well, she is not yet fit for the throne. Therefore, I have offered my services so that the country might survive under this turmoil. I am a simple man; it is not in me to conspire."

"I’ll bet," Kain spat and returned to his brooding.

"Sir Golm, this is an emergency," Edward said. His skill with words was unmatched; perhaps he could talk some sense into this man. "Those crystals hold within them our potential ruin, and if they are not tended to soon, we may face doom. A greater doom than we faced five years ago. Would you be responsible for that, Sir?"

Golm’s eyes turned to slits of gray. An air of tension fell upon the room as the thin man fixed his gaze on Edward. "I know not your plight. I have no sympathy for that which I do not know."

So that was it then. All that trouble, all that traveling, and for nothing? Kalahn looked to Nathaniel, huddled in the corner like a frightened animal. He’d been on the move since Golm made his entrance, as though the big man could sense his intent. She felt bad for Nathaniel, but…there was really nothing they could do.

"This is ridiculous," Cecil said, anger welling inside of him. "We’ve come all this way, after being warned of a potential world-threatening crisis, and now we’re being forced to turn back because you don’t agree with us?! Sir Golm, you are truly mad."

He looked frantically about, searching for that answer; that elusive answer that would solve everything. Hopefully he’d found it when his eyes snapped back up to meet Golm’s.

"Come with us, then. We will be your escort, Sir Golm. We will be with you when you inspect the crystals. Official Dwarven business, no?"

Golm tilted his head in thought, occasionally looking about at the gathered heroes. His lips pursed and his eyes narrowed once more, although not menacingly as they had when Kain reprimanded him.

"Hmm. No."

"No?!" Cecil was livid. About to throw something, probably. The Paladin king stalked over to Kain’s location, holding fervent conversation with the Dragoon while everyone else stood around uncomfortably. Risca approached Kalahn after a long silence; he’d been making habit of those for some time.

"I’ve no clue what’s going on."

"No worries," she chuckled in response. "I really don’t either. It’s all politics, and you know how I am about politics."

"Might as well bathe you in chocobo feed, yeah. I know, little sister."

Golm slid forward on whatever invisible air supported him, taking a place beside Giott’s throne. The king didn’t look very well. He was slumped over in his seat, his eyes losing focus and his breathing a bit ragged. It was as if he were staring something indescribably frightening right in the face.

"I am afraid there is nothing more we can do for you, good Overworlders. Now, if you would stay for a banquet, we will compensate for your troubles in any way possible."

"How about letting us into the damned tower?" Kain shot back.

Golm only smiled and bowed slightly. "We have discussed that, Ryuukishi. Good day."

The party, silenced in their shock, went to leave. Kalahn eyed the man named Golm as she went, sure there was something unusual about him. He wasn’t a Dwarf, and yet the Dwarves trusted him with their king. He was a cultured man, but he seemed to get angry very easily. Kain was perfect proof of that. Golm was just downright creepy. That was it in a nutshell.

Footsteps cut through the ragged silence, fast and pounding. Heeled footsteps, even. Cecil looked up curiously, just standing within the doorway of Giott’s chambers. The rest of the heroes crowded back in and formed a lazy semi-circle, waiting to see this other, other stranger make their way into the room.

The footsteps grew louder, then less fervent. A sigh and a mumble were heard, followed by a different set of voices sounding off in irritation. The first, the voice of a girl, replied with a snap and fell silent just as she entered the room.

There, just as she had appeared five years ago in this very palace, stood Rydia. The jade beauty; the green lady. The only Summoner left in the world, and Cecil’s adoptive little sister. Rydia had returned to the Land of Phantom Beasts when Zeromus was destroyed; it was only natural that she’d come running once she heard her friends were here.

The first thing she did upon entering was to pick Edward up in a big bear hug. The bard king giggled in response, returning the gesture and marveling at Rydia’s beauty. She then waved to Kain, who managed a cold nod.

And then she turned to Cecil.

"Hello. I bet you thought you’d never see me again, hmm?"

He smiled. "Well, never again is a bit strong. I, uh…I thought it would be a long while, of course. Then there’s the whole Edge issue, and we all know you’ve been waiting for him to get over you. So yes…a long while."

She giggled and shook her head, her eyes shining jade. "He’ll be fine…he’s fine. But…I know what’s been going on in here. The whole castle’s talking about it. Cecil, I think I have a solution. It might get me into trouble, but I don’t care about that. What do you say?"

This was a switch; Rydia saving Cecil. The Paladin king thought on it for a while and determined, just as he had before, that there were no other options. Might as well try, he told himself.

"Alright then. Go for it."

Rydia nodded in satisfaction and turned to address Golm. "Sir, the Dwarven kingdom may not give permission for these people to enter Bab-il tower, but Leviathan and Ashura of the Phantom Beasts do. In fact, they encourage these people’s drive and initiative in ensuring our planet’s survival. Now, if you would allow us that liberty…"

Golm was taken aback. He knew- anyone in the Underworld knew- that the law of the Phantom Beasts could not be argued. He had been cornered…by a little girl.

"Well I…of course, we…" he sighed. "Fine. The law of Leviathan cannot be refuted. You may enter the tower."

"I told you I could do this," Rydia whispered. Cecil could do nothing to conceal his smile.

"However."

The party snapped forward at that word, ready for another of Golm’s ungodly logic blocks to fall on them. What would it be now? Don’t step on the cracked tiles in sector four of floor three? What could he possibly mess up now?

"You must not all go. Your numbers are too great. Four of you will go, and three will stay. Choose wisely."

The heroes huddled, unsure of this change in plans. They had intended on going together, all six of them. Seven now that Rydia had made an appearance. Now Golm had set limits on personnel. Strange didn’t begin to describe it.

"Well I guess he’s going to kick and scream until he gets his way," Edward stated. "We must split up. But who goes where?"

"Take the tower into consideration," Cecil replied. "The enemies we might encounter in there. Who would be most useful to us inside the tower? And…"

"Who would be most useful keeping an eye on this dolt?" Risca ventured, and the Paladin king nodded fervently. "In that case I’d like to go to the tower, Highness. I am a monk; I can fell anything."

"Yang was quite useful, from your reckoning," Kain said in a low tone.

"True. All right, we have a working party. I will go to the tower, with Rydia, Tye, and Nathaniel. Kain; you, Edward, and Kalahn will keep an eye on things around here. When we return we’ll deal with this Golm character together. Does that work for everyone?"

The remainder of the party nodded and murmured their agreement- Kalahn quite reluctantly- and came out of the huddle. Cecil turned to Golm with a prideful smile.

"We have decided who will stay and who will go, Sir Golm. Now…on your leave?"

The thin man simply waved them off. "Go on, then. Embellish in your childish fantasies. Your friends will be taken care of, Overworlder."

Cecil and his party left, and Kain was abandoned with a lot of boredom to deal with. A determined scowl on his face, he bounded down to stairs toward the underground shops.

"Where’s he going?" Kalahn asked, unsure of the Dragoon.

"Probably the pub," Edward replied. "Come on, let’s get a feel for this castle, eh?"