Chapter Six

"Ack! Don’t DO that!"

Rydia had jumped nearly three feet in the air when Ifrit had squeezed her midsection from behind. Well, it had more of an effect when he did it, seeing as how he always had a body temperature of, say, five hundred degrees.

"Gods, Rydid. You’re not yourself today." The horned beast wore a look of pure concern, mirrored by that of his friends Shiva and Carbunkle. Rydia wasn’t happy with the nickname her friends had given her, but she could live with it. "Rydid" was a result of Leviathan’s stuttering, anyway. It was funny in it’s own right.

Green eyes shone with a marked annoyance, but it was soon gone with a shake of the head, emerald hair flying lazily about. Rydia smiled. "I’m not myself, no, Ifrit. I don’t know why, either, but it’s not important right now. We have training to get to, right?"

Shiva nodded. "Yes, that’s why we’re here. We cannot have training without our only Caller, eh? We cannot find your newest pupil, though."

Carbunkle made a dissatisfied noise. "When is that little guy ever doing anything other than hiding? You’d think he was afraid of us."

The Caller laughed giddily at her second-newest companion. Carbunkle was born of the love between Ramuh and one of the numerous Sylphs who’d remained Underground after the Crystal Wars. How an old man and a pixie had created a cerulean blue fox with a jewel for a head ornament was purely beyond Rydia. It was a given than Carbunkle, or Car as she called him, would inherit a healthy dose of attitude; his parents were perfect indicators.

"Well if you know he’s always hiding," Rydia played at a scold, "then maybe you know where he is, Car. Would you like to share?"

The creature answered with a wag of his dual tails and a toddling out of their current housing; the armory. Rydia had been in there with Titan, re-forging the metal ringlets on her Serpent whip; a sparring with a visiting Bahamut had left the weapon in serious disrepair. Ifrit and company had found her just in time, because training was nearly ten minutes away.

But then there was the matter of her newest companion gone missing.

She strode confidently out the front door of the building, following Carbunkle with Ifrit and Shiva in tow. He seemed to be leading them toward the library, which would be strange. It was a large building, sure, but there were few places to hide in there. Rydia’s curiosity was at full.

Just as she’d suspected; Carbunkle hobbled right into the library, waving to a passing black chocobo as he went. The Caller shot a look at Shiva, another at Ifrit.

"You think this is some sort of elaborate game they play? For attention?"

The ice maiden shrugged. "Could be. They are both virtual children, Rydia."

Wordlessly, the trio followed their query into the building. There he stood, beside a table piled with books, pointing to the top of a nearby shelf. A studious Imp peeked out from behind said book pile, waving to Rydia and zipping back into place. She giggled in spite of herself, waving back before he went.

"He’s up there," Car stated in his nasal, three-year-old voice. The other three looked to the top of the bookshelf, eyes and chins rising in unison. Sure enough, there he was.

"Mog!" Rydia chided. "We have training to get to, you know. Why are you up there, little one? Sick today, or what?"

Mog was a moogle; a new creature on the Blue Planet. Edward had found the first, bringing it with him to Cecil’s wedding five years ago and presenting it to the group for inspection. The only plausible explanation behind their existence was that they were a sort of castaway species from the Metal Moon. Perhaps a distant cousin of the Hummingways or something. At any rate, it was soon discovered that, like the summoned monsters, moogles were creatures of magic. Rydia took Edward’s discovery to the Underground with her, named him, and set about teaching him how to utilize his abilities. So far, Mog was a quick study; easily adaptable to most situations and magic types. He was making the Caller proud, as well as fast becoming the darling of the Land of Phantom Beasts.

The only trouble was, he never wanted to attend class.

Despondent, Mog peered over the edge of the bookshelf to inspect his visitors. He waved childishly at Rydia, then rolled backwards and out of sight. The last thing anyone saw was a pair of pinkish wings fluttering lazily. Car huffed, impatient, and Ifrit simply leaned to his right and around the side if the shelf.

A second later, Mog waddled his way out into the open. He was only as tall as Carbunkle, which was to say about the size of a smaller six-year-old human. Mog stared up at Rydia with what appeared to be a smile. Moogles looked a lot like koala bears, so facial expressions were easily misconstrued.

"Ready when you are, miss Rydia," he said. Carbunkle made a dissatisfied noise, joining the group, and poked Mog in the shoulder for good measure.

The group, now five strong, made their way through the village of Phantom Beasts to reach the outdoors. Friends and acquaintances waved and shouted hellos as they went, the gestures returned in earnest. Rydia was very well liked in the village, and most residents rushed outside or to the first available window to see her on her daily errands. She found it a comfort; after losing the people she cared about five years earlier, she’d made infinitely more friends and family in the Underground.

Still, though, there was a desire to again see blue sky and green earth. It was growing unbearable, and Rydia had found it hard to hide the wanderlust inside of her. These gentle beings need me, she thought as the path narrowed to the mouth of the caverns surrounding the village. These beings need me to be their…

Their what? Teacher? Mother, sister, or daughter? It seemed Rydia had become all of these and more, serving the purposes she’d been born to as a woman, only serving them for creatures not of light and sound. The latter part made no difference, of course; she believed that appearances weren’t even half of what the soul truly existed for.

Maybe she was just being selfish. Rydia never remembered herself as a selfish person, but people do change. It could just be that she missed the life she led five years ago, as well. Despite the danger her planet faced, Rydia did recall a great deal of fun traveling with Cecil, Rosa, Kain, and…

Edge. She avoided that subject without thinking.

Just then, the bright red and deep brown of the Underworld’s "surface" came into view. Rydia hadn’t even remembered the trip through the cavern, but she was lost in thought. That was becoming a bad habit.

Shiva and Ifrit took their positions, side by side to the left of the small island the group now occupied. Car and Mog stood to the other side, and all four waited for Rydia’s instructions. She looked her friends over, sizing up their abilities and weaknesses, thinking hard on what should be worked out for this day.

"Well, I was mulling this over earlier and I believe…" she glanced to Mog, "that we should give our newest companion a chance to prove himself. Mog? Would you like to show your friends what you’ve learned so far?"

Reluctantly, the moogle stepped forward. Shiva and Ifrit watched with marked interest; Car simply grunted and took out a book he’d been reading for some time. The little fox wasn’t much for training; he’d learned everything he could in a short amount of time. Carbunkle’s abilities ran in a defensive vein; he was a master of Shell, Armor, and Reflect magics and was pretty adept with some status spells as well. Mostly, he attended training out of necessity and boredom. He was a bit nosy, as well, and liked watching people. Mog, though Car wouldn’t admit it, was quite an interesting creature.

Rydia knelt down before Mog, her disarming smile put full on. "Come on, Mog. Show these guys what you can do, okay? You’ll do fine, I promise."

Slightly, the moogle nodded. "O-okay, miss Rydia, kupo. Should I do my fire dance today?"

"Yeah, that would be perfect. Just remember, if you feel yourself start to slip, run into me. You won’t hurt me, alright?"

"Alright, kupeh."

Mog waddled out further a bit, then turned around to face Rydia, who’d joined the other three after instructing them to step back. The little guy nodded once, screwed his face up in childish determination, and then let his voice fly.

Dancing flames, dancing embers

Be my servants, ku-pah-pah

Watch me spin, watch me twirling

Follow me into the air

Dancing flames, tongues of fire

Do my bidding, ku-pah-peh

Be my wings, fury forming

Tiny flaming teddy bear

Dancing flames, red and yellow

Wrap me up, kupo-ku-keh

Make me seem a hellish creature

Bring me power, bring it now

Ku ko ku ko pop-ke-kaaaaah!!!

Rydia and the others watched intently as Mog’s words echoed in the molten silence of the Underground. No one knew what he was doing or how his power would manifest itself; no one, not even Rydia herself, had seen what Mog could do. It seemed he learned on his own and was satisfied with that. The Caller had to admit that she was expecting something spectacular. Even those with no real gift could feel Mog’s magical abilities.

Just as that one last word exited Mog’s mouth, he shot into the air in a brilliant cocoon of light. Rydia and friends watched as the moogle reached upward, gathering speed and height, then stopped a good distance from the ground. Mog hovered there, his eyes closed and wings outstretched…

He plummeted into the lava flow. Rydia gasped and sprinted to the edge of the island, screaming for the moogle. Ifrit, immune to the intense heat, dove in to search for the little guy.

But just as Ifrit had disappeared into the lava, Mog emerged again. The moogle was wrapped in flames, yet seemingly unhurt. Slowly, with measured fear, Rydia drew back and stared. As she watched, she noticed the flames circling Mog’s tiny body. Not touching him, but forming a sort of molten shield around him.

"What in the name of the Metal Moon…" she whispered harshly. Shiva’s livid expression mirrored Rydia’s comment in as many ways imaginable.

Before anyone could react- just as Ifrit’s horned head poked through the lava flow- Mog’s shield of flame burst outward from him. It slinked around itself, as if some ageless dragon were trapped in the heat and essence of fire. Mog’s paws were outstretched, quivering slightly as he focused his abilities, directing the snaking blaze even higher.

When it reached near to a hundred feet above the island, the flames burst and diffused into the air around them, leaving no trace of Mog’s daring ascent save the moogle himself still hovering. Rydia sent Shiva up to retrieve the little guy, worried about just how much that stunt took out of him.

The ice maiden descended, placing Mog gently on the rocky floor in front of Rydia. He didn’t look burned, only a bit fatigued. Those beady little eyes were blinking slowly, the strain of such powerful magic weighing on furry eyelids.

"That was very impressive, Mog," Rydia whispered softly, stroking Mog’s fuzzy cheek with a delicate hand. "I’m really very proud of you…just warn me when you’re going to do something like that, alright? You scared all of us, Mog."

"Not all of us," Car was heard to say between turning pages.

The moogle sat up then, scratching the back of his head with a chubby paw. He glared playfully at Car, sticking out a pink tongue, then looked to Rydia with a happy expression.

"So I did well, miss Rydia?"

She had to try very hard not to burst out in a fit of incredulous laughter. "Mog, you did splendidly. Just…spooked me a bit is all."

Taking the moogle’s hand, Rydia stood and faced the stretching river of lava before her tiny island home. The reds and oranges were bright and fluid, whisking about themselves like so much scorched custard in a huge bowl. Just to the northeast, a bit far, the Caller could see Giott’s palace standing guard with the help of a three-sided mountain wall. Off to the north lay the now burnt-out Tower of Bab-il, where Rydia had spent entirely too much time five years ago.

She turned back to the mouth of the cavern, her wanderlust taking control, and beckoned for the others. "Alright, time to head back. We have much—"

A noise caught the ear of everyone gathered. A low whirring, descending on the Underground from high above. Rhythmic, it washed over the blackened soil like a hurricane. Rydia turned back to look and nearly wept at the sight.

The Enterprise, it’s bright yellow hull floating down through the hole in Agart Rock and making it’s way sluggishly toward Giott’s castle. Propellers spun wildly; engines flared despondently with surges of power. Rydia remembered the Enterprise. She remembered too well.

Before another thought entered her jade-encircled head, Rydia was on her way to see Leviathan.

"I assure you, there must be a valid reason behind the presence of that ship in the Underground. Especially after so long, Leviathan. And I know…I know that Cecil’s here. Down here. I need to know why."

Wizened eyes lifted from a slight lap to settle on the jade beauty before them. Silvery brown hair flowed eagerly from a hooded crown, falling onto stooped shoulders and down rumpled, royal purple robes. Wrinkled hands twiddled thumbs; wrinkled feet slipped childishly in and out of trodden sandals. A slight smile flashed, for just a moment, then was gone. Leviathan was much less splendid in human form, but quite easy to deal with. He looked more like someone’s lost grandfather than the King of Phantoms.

"Yes, I quite agree that Cecil is here," he said. His voice cracked and sputtered sometimes; the man only stuttered when in Rydia’s presence. She was embarrassed about it, especially when Ashura was sitting right there beside her husband. Unfortunately, this time she was.

"How long do you think you’ll be gone, Rydia?" the Phantom queen asked cordially. She wasn’t trying to press the Caller to stay, and Rydia knew that. Ashura was simply straightforward and honest about everything. Which seemed strange considering the symbolism her four faces brought to mind.

"I am only asking," Ashura continued, obliged to explain, "because we do have a few young ones here who require your guidance. You’re our only Caller, after all." A warm smile drove the point home.

Rydia stood silently considering the question. She absently glanced at Mog, who’d followed her everywhere since the incident outside. Odds were he’d be sticking with her for a while.

"Well I simply wish to see some of my friends again, really," the Caller answered, choosing her words as carefully as she could manage. "I miss them terribly, and five years has been a long time. You can understand that, right Ashura?"

The queen nodded, her smile a bit subdued. Rydia knew what she was thinking. Some other adventure was going to come along, and then the young Phantoms would be without their "big sister." The Caller had to admit that she was feeling torn.

Enough, she thought. I want to see Cecil. I will not be shaken.

"Besides," she continued. "Perhaps I might be needed for something. It may be, by some slight chance, that I am the reason Cecil has come down here after so long. It could be possible."

"True…" Leviathan amended. "We simply d-don’t want to l…l…lose you, Rydid."

She grimaced at the stuttering nickname. "I know, Leviathan. I assure you both, I will not be gone long. I simply wish to see my friends and ask after their needs. That is all."

A moment of silence as Ashura and Leviathan exchanged a number of furtive glances. Things seemed much more tense between them than they had ever been. At least for as long as Rydia had known them.

Finally, Ashura spoke. Her tone was a bit more commanding than before, but the Caller shrugged it off as a defensive worry more than anything.

"Very well, Rydia. You may visit with Giott and your friends if that is what you desire. We will be awaiting your return. And know that if you should need us, we are only a whisper away and at your fingertips. Remember that, young one."

Rydia nodded once, emphatically, and leapt out of the room. Mog followed, loyal and childish. He clung to her on this day, and she wondered why. Perhaps Mog had actually scared himself with the magic he displayed earlier. Oh well, Rydia thought. Welcome company.

She picked him up, carrying the little fluff ball with her as she made her way to the surface again. "Mog, you’re going to meet some friends of mine. I love these people dearly, and I’ve wanted to see them again for five whole years. Can you believe it? Five years have passed since I saw these people!"

Light and airy, Mog giggled. "You really like these people, huh miss Rydia?"

"Oh yes," she answered immediately. "I love these people. Now come on, Mog. Let’s go meet them!"