A Trial of Friendship

"Kain! Watch out!"

Cecil's cry to his loyal friend, the Dragoon Kain, was too late to be heard. The rocks from the mountainside tumbled loudly, nearly crushing him. The young girl had fallen senseless, the call of Titan taking too much out of her. The tiny village of Mist was burning and being flattened all at once.

"Cecil! Where are you?!" Kain shouted. A reply came then not. The boulders struck the ground loudly and Kain and Cecil were lost in the noise and confusion. Thus, they were separated and were placed into the hands of Fate for a test of loyalty to their state and each other.

As Kain tried to make his escape from the falling rocks and shaking ground, he tripped and fell over a body of a dead Caller, charred beyond recognition. Kain at once picked himself up and ran off in the opposite direction, toward the exit of the village.

I hope Cecil makes it.

 Kain had not proceeded far from the burning village when he suddenly found himself stopped. Run! his mind screamed. Run or you'll die here! What will happen to Rosa? But Kain was unable to move, as though he wanted to return to Mist to find Cecil.

No! You did your duty, the package was delivered! Don't even think about going back!

He felt heartsick. If he returned to Mist to look for Cecil, he would die. If he found Cecil dead, he would die, from grief. But could he return to Baron without him? And who would look after Rosa? he wondered. That was his decision. Kain, without thinking, put one foot in front of the other and made the journey back to Baron. It would give him time to think of a way to break the news to Rosa. His loyalty to Cecil was broken, and could never be fixed.

***

"Your Majesty, I have returned. The package was delivered to Mist."

"Very good, Kain. Where is Cecil?"

"I know not. The earthquake ..must have swallowed him."

"Tis a pity!"

Silence. Then an inaudible whisper. Kain was afraid to raise his head.

"Kain! I would like to introduce to you, Master Golbez, the new Captain of the Red Wings."

Kain rose from his bended knee and looked up at the King of Baron. Something was very different about him, but Kain could not put his finger on it. On the left side stood Baigan, the King's advisor. How I hate that man. I'd like to take his bloody head off! Kain hoped he hadn't said that aloud. But Baigan glared at Kain, as if he overheard Kain's thoughts. Coming down the steps was a tall, imposing man in black armour. There was not even a metallic shine on the armour. Why didn't I see him before?

Kain was suddenly reminded of Cecil.

Cecil.I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left you like that.

Golbez stood before Kain, with malicious intent in his eyes. They burned with an angry fire, and his brow was wrung with scorn. Golbez stared into Kain's eyes, and his mind began to sense the danger.

There's something I don't like about him..

A deep voice resounded from within Golbez. "How would you like to help me manage the Red Wings? I need a bodyguard with incredible strength and agility to complete my mission. I think it would suit you admirably."

Kain did not have the voice to answer. His body wanted to run, yet he had not the nerve.

"Very well. You will help me, whether you like it or not."

The King rose from his throne, and stood at the top of the dias. "Kain. You are ordered to attend Master Golbez on this mission!"

Kain turned to bolt from the room. Golbez held out a hand, and Kain was frozen in motion. No!

"I am most disappointed in your skill. Come with me and I shall give you all you need." Golbez made a snap of his fingers and Kain was gone from the room. Golbez turned to the King.

"He is my pawn now. Do not forget your place, Kainazzo."

"Of course not, Master." The King bowed his head to Golbez.

The doors suddenly opened in a very unceremonious manner, startling Golbez and the King. A guard entered, followed by a few others.

"Sire! Cecil is alive. He has been sighted in Kaipo, in the Damcyan Desert, with a Caller." the guard shouted.

The King shook his head. "So Cecil escaped, eh? Go after him. And bring the Caller to me." The guards ran off, shouting orders and soon they would board the airships for their fugitive.

Golbez once more turned his attention on the King. "Now the castle is almost empty. See that Cecil is not allowed back in Baron. My plans will not be disrupted."

"But Master, what should we do about Cid and Rosa? They are very close to Cecil."

"Nothing. Not yet. They'll get their chance later. I want this place locked up."

And in a blink, Golbez was gone.

***

"So. what would you have me do?"

"Go into the castle and kill anyone who opposes you. Have no mercy. Once you reach the crystal chambers, wait for me, and I shall appear presently."

"Yes Master!"

The young man left, armour clanking loudly. Golbez turned back to peering over the edge of the airship. The castle of Damcyan stared back at him from a distance, in a mantle of grey. None knew of their approach.

"Soon this place will be devoid of life and love, and every other sickening emotion. Death and destruction . the best things in life." With that thought, he turned and left.

*** What is a Baronian soldier doing here? I thought we were neutral. Perhaps something is up? Where is he going?

The young guard's mind wandered as a tall and dangerous-looking man in blue armour entered the gates, bearing his lance in his left hand. The look in the youth's eyes was so empty, yet full of purpose and danger. Should I follow? Maybe he needs an escort. Before he could decide, the youth disappeared around the corridor. I'd best not leave my post. Maybe it's nothing at all. I hope so.

The youth approached the chamber of the King, paying no heed to the guards.

"Hey you! I said stop! You can't go in there!"

The youth turned on his heel and glared at the guard. "I will go wherever I please, whenever I please." His tone implied nothing but trouble.

The guard, not wishing to fight the intruder, resumed his post as if nothing had been said. The youth returned to his activity. The King's chamber is just ahead. Beyond that is .the crystal!

The youth kicked in the door to the throne room, startling the aged king. He immediately rose from his throne in great alarm. The guards in the room stiffened at attention, ready to fight for the King, if the need should arise. The King ordered them to stand back.

"Sir! This conduct is most unseemly! What do you do here?" the king demanded.

The youth approached the dais. He did not kneel before the king of Damcyan. He could hear shouts from guards behind him and the sound of metal crashing against metal. A woman screamed.

"I demand the crystal of Fire." His voice was icy and full of rage. The guards squirmed at the lack of respect for a king.

"Who are you! Why do you want the crystal?"

"That's none of your concern. Hand it over or you will all die."

"Never!"

The monarch suddenly noticed the mark on the youth's armour. That's the crest of Baron! he realized. What have we done? A horde of various monsters burst into the room. The guards scattered and led the battle out of the throne room, in an effort to protect their king.

Perfect timing!

A spear flew through the air, striking the monarch squarely in the forehead. The monarch fell and died instantly. The youth retrieved the spear, and proceeded to the crystal room. Once the youth was out of sight, a cry was heard from the foyer of the throne room.

"Anna! Noooo!"

The youth forced the thought out of his mind. Did I just kill the King, without thinking? Another voice in his head echoed. Practice for meeting Cecil. He stopped in his stride, listening as if he heard imperfectly. I want him dead!

You can't be serious!

He could see the crystal of Fire from where he stood.

There it is! Wait for Master.

No! Turn back! The last ounce of his humanity shouted, in vain. What would Rosa say? Or Cid? Or..even Cecil??

Ha! That accident at Mist was all his fault! He got you into this mess! His life for yours!

He took up his pace again to retrieve the Crystal. As he approached it, his mind was totally devoted to serving Golbez.

No. his mind pleaded. Help me, Cecil.

The voice faded, and then silence ensued.

He waited by the stone dias. Golbez would arrive soon.

****

The youth looked over the airship in disgust. A nagging feeling bothered him all morning. Something just wasn't right. He heard that Cecil was alive and well, and Rosa sneaked on an airship to Kaipo to be with him. The youth burned with jealousy. He knew that Cecil was probably on his way to Fabul to protect the Crystal of Wind.

How will I be able to face him?

The youth descended into the quarters of the airship. He sat on his bunk, holding the spear in his hand. He stared at it in dreadful pertrubation. The stains of blood were still visible on the blade. One cleaned spot would not show his reflection.

The spear that killed a king and changed a nation... What have I done? Could I have killed another human so heartlessly? What is happening to me.?

He rose from the bunk, and crossed to a crude mirror. He gazed upon his features. Somewhere on the boat, the bombs were being dropped.

Look at this incredible body! Golbez has given me a great gift. The muscle that takes years to build has appeared in days. I LOVE this feeling! My bones no longer ache, I'm more flexible and I --

His conscience popped into the conversation.

But you feel like hell. You killed the king of Damcyan, and countless others. Golbez turned you into a killing machine. A monster. This isn't you.

Shut up! I'll get what I want. Cecil will die for taking my Rosa! MY Rosa!

She's never been yours. She liked you as a friend, nothing more. You murderous swine.!

SHUT UP!

Get a hold of yourself! You think you can go into the castle and kill your best friend? He's been worried sick about you, and the only thing on your mind is "Kill Cecil"?! What the hell is wrong with you, Kain? What happened to you that these thoughts are crippling you into this evil, sadistic beast? Look at yourself!

Kain glared at his reflection, seeing only himself. His lips were pursed, angry with the reflection. His eyes looked back into his. A fire of hate burned within. He took the spear in one hand and shattered the mirror, hoping the voice would be silenced. He was only half successful, for the mirror broke only halfway, leaving only the left corners. It still caught his reflection.

You're a fool to think you can shut me off like that. Someday this will catch up to you. You will have to face yourself someday. The voice faded.

"Yes! Bless'ed silence!"

He hadn't realized he was speaking aloud.

But what about Rosa?

I'll take her from him. It will break his heart. Then I'll kill him. I'll --

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the airships making a landing. He knew that the moment of truth had come. His twisted mind took over once again. Cecil will not live another day. Kain silently removed himself, spear in hand, from his bunker. He took his leave of the airship. He knew that Cecil would be waiting within.