Final Fantasy 4 Redemption Prologue - Aria: Innocence Lost

     The young girl smiled as her mother approached her. "Mommy, are these ones good enough?"
     The mother took the apple that her young daughter offered. "Hmmm...Looks okay, Aria. You may have found a good one!"
     Aria's eyes sparkled. "Yaaay! I found a good one!" She went back to look for more apples.
     My beautiful angel...If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have a reason for living any more...
     Interesting, isn't it? I heard "retirement" was supposed to be bad; but I'm really enjoying this. Getting away from my past...
     I bet looking at me now that no one could ever guess that I was once General Valeria, leader of the Baronian army, the most feared army in the whole world...
     But I like it this way...I don't want anyone to remember that. I wish it'd never happened...
     And Valeria began to run after her daughter, Aria. "Aria, wait for me! You're going too fast!"
~~~~~~~~~
     "Boy, we sure got a lot of apples, didn't we, Mommy?"
     Valeria smiled. "We sure did. These should sell for quite a bit."
     "Yaaay! We're going to be rich!" And wit that, Aria skipped away.
     Well, not rich, but pretty well off now.
     Then Valeria heard the sound of someone knocking at the door. I wonder who it could be at this hour...
     Valeria went and opened the door. "Yes, what can I do for you?"
     Three gruff looking men were at the door. The one in front said "General Valeria? Our Master has sent us to take you to him. He wishes you to lead his new army."
     Valeria gave them an evil look. "Haven't you heard? I'm retired. I'm not interested in fighting any more."
     "Got news for you, missy. You're going. Our Master has ordered us to take you by force, if necessary."
     "Yeah? We'll see about that!" And Valeria slammed the door in their faces.
     The three men stared at the door. "Well, then you take option 2, 'General'!" And the men began to attempt to break the door down.
     Hearing this, Valeria quickly ran to her room. She pulled out her sword, which she kept hidden in case of a situation like this. "Mommy?"
     Valeria spun around. "Aria, go and hide! We're under attack!"
     In a panic, Aria ran out of the room. I hope she hides somewhere safe!      Valeria walked back out into the living room. At that moment, the three men broke the door down. But Valeria was ready for them.
     With an incredibly quick movement, Valeria caught the first one in the gut with a nice slash. The man fell down, obviously wounded.
     Smiling, Valeria spun around, expecting to see the others. But they were nowhere in sight. "Okay, you scoundrels, where are you?"
     "Right here!" came a voice from behind her. But before she could spin around, the man grabbed her around the throat.
     Valeria, remembering her training, quickly stepped on the man's foot. When he screamed in pain, she spun around and slashed at his midsection. She heard the telltale double thump that said she's killed him.
     Then something hit her over the head and everything went black.
~~~~~~~~~
     "Wha...Where am I?" Valeria stated when she finally came to.
     Valeria quickly looked around. It's my living room; but why am I still here?
     "Heh. Our Master told us you may not want to go. And as a result, he told us to use this option if you don't."
     Oh, Bahamut; what option?
~~~~~~~~~
     Aria came out of her hiding place. I wonder where Mommy is. I know she told me to hide, but I need to find her! She might be hurt, and need me!
     Aria peeked around the corner. "There's Mommy; but she's tied up! And who is that guy?"
     Aria watched in horror as the stranger said something to her mother. Then, out of the blue, he picked up the sword.
     "MOMMY!" Aria screamed. But it was too late.
     The man drove the sword through her mother, and her mother's eyes closed. Then the man turned.
     "So you're Valeria's brat. Too bad I'm going to be the last thing you see."
     In a panic, Aria ran to her room. Quickly opening the window, she lifted herself out of it.
     Yes! I got away...But Mommy! I need to see Mommy!
     Aria ran back around to the front of the house. Checking, she saw that the man wasn't in the room; so Aria ran to her mother. "Mommy, are you alright?"
     But Valeria didn't respond. "MOMMY! NO!" Aria screamed, and she began to cry.
     "So there you are! Thought you could outwit me, eh?" the man suddenly yelled from behind her. But before Aria could get away again, he had grabbed her. "Just for that, I'm going to make you suffer before you die. Starting with this!"
     The man picked up his sword again, and swung it at Aria's face. One swing; and everything went black.
     Mommy! Where are you?
     Aria couldn't see, but she could hear. Something was happening outside. "Oh, no! It's the Baronian Royal Guard! What could they be doing here?"
     Then came the sound of glass breaking. He must have jumped out the window! Aria concluded.
     Then came the sound of the door opening, and footsteps on the ground. "Who are you, and what do you want?" Aria screamed, afraid that it might be another thug.
     "Calm down, young one. What's your name?" came a voice. Aria thought it was the most beautiful voice she had ever heard. The man possessing it must be very wise, and Aria felt that she could trust him.
     "My name is Aria. Who are you? What happened to Mommy? And why is everything dark?"
     "To answer your questions in order, my name is Folken, and I'm a member of the Baronian Royal Guard. We heard that there was something going on here, and so we came to investigate."
     The point where the voice came from moved. "As for your mother...I'm afraid she's not going to make it. I'm very sorry..."
     "And for why everything is black, it's because that scoundrel cut your face. I don't think you'll ever be able to see again..."
     "I...I can't see any more? And Mommy..." and Aria began to cry; or, at least, she would have if she had any tears left.
     After a period of time, Aria stopped. "No...I can't cry any more. Mommy wouldn't like it."
     "Mr. Folken, can I be a member of the...Royal Guard too? I want to teach these guys a lesson for killing my Mommy!"
     The voice came again. "I don't know; but if you're willing to try, I'm willing to help. Come on, young one. I'll look after you."
     Aria couldn't see; but she could tell Mr. Folken was smiling at her. "Thank you, Mr. Folken."
     "Just call me Folken. 'Mr.' makes me feel old."
     "Okay, Folken." And Aria took Folken's hand; preparing to begin her new life, her innocence lost in the past.