Final Fantasy 4 Redemption Prologue - Rafla: Changing Tradition

     "What do you mean, she can't take the training?" King Yang boomed at the top of his lungs.
     The advisor didn't seem very afraid of the King's rage. But inside, he was shaking. Everyone knew that Yang was a very powerful Monk; and that he could easily hurt people with his bare hands. And he seemed mad enough to try right now.
     "Well, your Majesty, it's very simple. Your daughter can't train to be a Monk because...well...she's a girl! You know very well that girls can't handle this kind of training; it's way too physical."
     Yang just glared at him. "How do you know she can't handle it? We've never tried it before; and I think it may be time for a change in tradition."
     "WHAT!!! Your Majesty, you can't be serious..." The advisor was stunned. A GIRL taking the training! He'd never heard of such ridiculousness in his life.
     Yang paused for a second to gather his thoughts. "It's very simple. We'll let Rafla train for a while, then see how she feels about it. If she thinks she can keep going, then we'll let her. If she doesn't think she can handle it, then she can stop, and we'll forget this whole idea."
     "Yes, your Majesty."
~~~~~~~~~
     Rafla was so excited she was practically bouncing off the walls. "Yaay! I get to train to be a Monk!"
     Yang couldn't help but smile at his daughter; but he had to make her understand that this was a great honor. "Rafla, listen. You're being given a major chance to do something no Princess of Fabul has ever done. You need to take this very seriously. I know you're only 6 years old, but it's time you started acting more grown up. At least towards this, anyway."
     Rafla smiled. "Of course, Daddy. I'm going to train, and I'm going to come back a great Monk like you! I promise."
     "Good luck with your training, Rafla. Just remember; you can always come back if you want to."
     "What! And come back a failure? No way!"
     Yang smiled and sent a silent prayer to the Great Light. Please look after my daughter, he prayed.
~~~~~~~~~
     The drill sergeant paced back and forth, checking out the troops. "Well, you look like the most pathetic bunch of lowlife scumbags I've ever seen. Now listen up! You're not here to be whiny mama's boys! I'm going to make men out of you mice! So do what you're told, and listen!"
     Rafla was shaking; but not from fear, from excitement. She glanced around, seeing a group of boys from 5 to 10 standing at attention.
     The drill sergeant stopped in front of Rafla. "So you're King Yang's daughter! Well, know that you're not going to get any special treatment here!"
     "I don't want special treatment!" Rafla retorted.
     "Is that so? Well, we'll see in a few weeks. Now march! We're heading up to Mount Hobbs to begin the training! Let's go!"
~~~~~~~~~
     "Come on, come on! You lazy slackers! Get your rears in gear!"
     Rafla was sweating. Man, this is hard work. But I'm not giving up! I will succeed at this, for Daddy...
     "Okay, stop! Time for practice sessions. You'll be paired off. Hmmm..." The drill sergeant marched up and down the lines, pairing off the children.
     "Rafla, you'll be with Skel here." Rafla nodded, then faced off with her opponent.
     Man, what's wrong with him? His skin looks almost white, and he's the skinniest kid I've ever seen!
     Skel smiled at Rafla. "Ready to die, Chosen One?"
     Rafla's eyes widened. Chosen One? "What are you talking about?"
     "Now you will die, for Master Darkheart and Master Zemus!" And with that, Skel attacked.
     Rafla quickly blocked Skel's attack, like she had been trained to do. He's not playing around! I've got to knock him out before he kills me!
     Skel attacked again, but this time Rafla was ready for him. Blocking his attack, she took him down with a nice counter attack, which knocked him out. Or so she thought...
     Turning around, Rafla prepared to walk over to the drill sergeant and report.
     "What's wrong, Chosen One? Weak? Just like your father..." Rafla turned to see Skel getting up. But something was wrong...
     Skel's eyes were glowing red! His voice had gotten so loud, even the drill sergeant had looked over to see what was going on. He smiled, and Rafla could see needle-like teeth.
     "NOW YOU DIE, PRINCESS!" Skel screamed, and charged at Rafla with an attack Rafla had never seen.
     Forced to improvise, Rafla decided to try countering with a trick her father had shown her. Standing there, she began to focus the power of her spirit into her fists. Suddenly she jumped up and screamed out one word, "Power!". And then she hit Skel with a single punch to the stomach.
     Skel's body began to disintegrate; it wasn't designed to take a shot of that magnitude. "AAAARGH! YOU GOT ME, YOU WENCH! BUT MASTER DARKHEART WILL GET YOU!!!"
     The drill sergeant ran over. "Are you alright, Rafla?"
     Rafla turned around and smiled. "Of course! That was..." Then she fainted.
~~~~~~~~~
     "Well, that's enough, cadets! Your training for the year is complete at last. I'll expect to see you here next year, same time!"
     Rafla was happy to see the castle again; after a year of training, she was coming home!
     Yang was waiting for her, as was her mother, Aria. "Mom! Dad!" Rafla ran over to them, where they both gave her a large hug.
     "Are you alright, Rafla? I heard from the sergeant that you were attacked!" Yang asked.
     "Yeah, but it was no problem. I simply used that attack that you showed me!"
     "Well, do you want to go again next year?" Aria asked.
     "I sure do! I wouldn't miss it for the world!"
     "Very well, then. You can return to training again next year." Yang stated.
~~~~~~~~~
4 years later
~~~~~~~~~
     "Nice work, men. That's enough for the year! I'll see you next year."
     Rafla walked into the castle. Now 11 years old, Rafla was finally done basic training. And thanks to her, some of the other girls were being allowed to begin training as well.
     In fact, the drill sergeant had stated that she was definitely the best of her class in hand-to-hand fighting!
     "Congratulations, Rafla! The drill sergeant told me about your accomplishment! I'm very proud of you!" Yang said when she entered the throne room.
     "I know, Daddy. Next year I start advanced training. I wonder what that's going to be like..."
     "Well, you'll have to find out next year! But for now, stay here and think about your birthday coming up! You'll be 12 years old!"
     Rafla smiled. She'd forgotten about that. Her 12th birthday! 12 years since she had been born, a few months after her father ascended the Fabul throne.
     "I do believe this will be the best birthday ever!" She cried out excitedly.