Final Fantasy 4 Redemption Chapter 1: The Dark Warrior - A Nighttime Interlude

     Aria stirred in her sleep. "Ah, Mommy, no!" she cried out, then she awoke.
     That same dream again...the same one I've been having since I was little...
     Aria shook her head. But still...I still think of that time in my life...sometimes I wish I was still back there, instead of where I am now...
     Suddenly, Aria looked around. Queen Rosa was sleeping in the one corner, and Rydia in the other; she could tell by their breathing. But Folken was obviously not in the room; his breathing was too loud to possibly be missed, even among the others. I wonder where he went...
     Aria quietly slipped out of the cabin, trying not to wake any of the others. It wasn't hard, for her lack of eyesight made it very difficult, but Aria had been doing it for years, and she knew just what to do. Outside, Aria could hear Folken's breathing, obviously coming from the hillside near the cabin. Quietly, she slipped over there, and listened to him.
     "Why me? Why is it I have to go and deal with Rocalon? I didn't ask for this...all I wanted was to lead a peaceful life! But now I have to leave behind everything I've created here and go chasing after him?"
     "I'm not a Baronian guardsman anymore! It's not my problem anymore..."
     Aria shook her head. "But you're wrong. It is your problem; Rocalon is everyone's problem. You know he doesn't care about anyone or anything, except his own power..."
     Suddenly, Aria slipped. She braced herself, preparing to fall down the hill, but it never happened. Aria suddenly realized that Folken had caught her as she was falling.
     "Aria, why aren't you sleeping? You should be sleeping, not listening to me..."
     Aria shook her head. "I couldn't sleep. The same dream again..."
     Aria got a sense that Folken was giving her a sad look. "Yeah...that time...I'm sorry..."
     "Why are you sorry? It wasn't your fault. You did save me..."
     Folken smiled. "I guess you're right...You were listening to me, weren't you? I imagine you don't understand me. Sometimes, I don't understand myself..."
     Aria's head lifted to Folken's eyes. "You're right. Sometimes I don't understand you...sometimes it's like you don't feel anything at all. But a man who felt nothing would never have saved me the way you did, back then. So I get confused..."
     Folken looked at her. "I said I would fight Rocalon. I didn't do it for the sake of Queen Rosa, or of that girl Rydia, or because I think it's the right thing to do, or any of that. I have my own reasons..."
     Shock appeared on Aria's face. "You still want to show him you're the stronger one?"
     "Yes...but I think there's something more than that to it as well..."
     "What, Folken? You know you can tell me...you can tell me anything..."
     "The truth is...while I was saying no, I thought about Rocalon. I know he would do anything to hurt me, to try and goad me into coming out. And the thought that frightened me the most...was the thought that he might try doing something to you to get at me..."
     "ME? Why me? I'm just your apprentice..."
     Folken smiled again. "No, you're not. You've never been that. It's always been more than that. I've watched you grow, since you were little. You know, you've changed a lot since that time, but I haven't changed one bit. I watched you get stronger, and become even more brave than me. When Rosa told me she wanted me to go, I knew you would want to go too, and that frightened me even more than Rocalon. I want you to stay in Baron, where it's safe. Leave Rocalon to me."
     Aria smiled. "Folken, you've changed the subject. Why are you so concerned about me? You know I can handle myself; you're the one who trained me, after all. And now I'm the leader of the Queen's Protectors."
     Foken nodded. "Yes, that's true. I know you can handle yourself. However, I'm still afraid for you...so promise me you'll stay in Baron, and not follow after me. Please swear it on your mother's name..."
     Aria sobbed. She wished she still had tears so she could cry properly. "I...I swear on the name of my mother Valeria, that I will not try to follow you after Rocalon..."
     "Aria, you're by far the most amazing person I've ever met. Please stay strong, for me..."
     Aria smiled. "Folken, is the moon out tonight?"
     "Yes, it is. It's a full moon, and it throws such a light down upon this planet..."
     "I wish I could see it..."
     "Maybe someday you will. You never know..."
     Aria leaned her head upon Folken's shoulder, as she used to do when she was little, and fell asleep. No more nightmares haunted her for the rest of the night, as she slept there, on Folken's shoulder.