The Four Fiends

Water lapped against the rocks on the shore of Eblan with the sun shining high in the sky. It was almost noon – Ferron’s favorite time of the day. Whenever he could, he would make his way to the beach to have his meal under the mid-day sun. The cool, refreshing breeze that came in off the ocean made the heat bearably comfortable, and Ferron could relax on the sand, putting his mind off the matters that he had to deal with in the castle.

Ferron was only 23, but he was one of the castles Councillors. He and 29 other people debated and made recommendations to the King and Queen concerning matters of governing the entire country. Today had been a particularly stressful day, so far. Ferron was attempting to convince the other Councillors that there was no need to put more funds and time into training the army. There were no signs of any wars on the horizon, relations with the other countries were at an all time high, and the money could be better spent on much needed infrastructure in several outlying towns.

But then, Ferron wasn’t a warrior by any means. Most of the people of Eblan had at least rudimentary training in the ways of the Ninja, but Ferron had refrained from following that path. It wasn’t like he wasn’t physical, but he didn’t understand why so much emphasis was placed upon conflict in his society.

Sighing, he picked a spot out on the sandy shore, near the water, and lied down. He removed his shoes and lazily flipped open his pack of food, beginning to eat. Water flowed up to his feet, and he smiled, stretching out as far as he could. The matters of the castle didn’t seem so important to him for now.

* * * * * *

Several yards out from shore, Ugul watched the man from behind some rocks that jutted out from the sea bed. Ugul came to the rocks everyday hoping to see the man. It pleased him very much to look upon the man, whether he was simply lying at the waters edge, eating, or taking a leisurely walk.

Ugul couldn’t figure out why, exactly, he enjoyed watching the man so much. It wasn’t as though he hadn’t seen humans before. Ever since he had lost his kin, Ugul had spent time watching all sorts of creatures. And, being a Kainazzo, he had even taken the forms of some of them, including humans, for short periods of time.

But this human seemed... different somehow. It wasn’t just that the man was a beautiful human -- Ugual had experienced many forms of beauty, including all sorts of human kinds. The man lying on the beach... there was something... else. Purity, perhaps? An innocence that Ugul could never regain?

It didn’t really matter much to Ugul. For whatever reasons, he was enthralled by the man. He had considered taking a human form and approaching the man, but Ugul didn’t want to scare him away. Coming to the beach was very obviously a ritual the man preferred to take part in alone.

Still... the chance to interact with the man was very alluring for Ugul.

But for now, he simply watched.

* * * * * *

Particularly angry, Ferron didn’t care that it wasn’t a very nice day to have lunch at the beach. It was overcast and wet, having rained the night before. However, Ferron needed, desperately, to get away from the castle, the Councillors, and the endless debates. In over a week he had only succeeded in bringing six other Councillors over to his side. The rest seemed content to pour disgusting amounts of resources into the armies.

The main argument supporting the military funding was because it seemed that there had been a slight increase in the various monsters that lived in the wilds throughout Eblan. But it wasn’t like there was a population explosion or anything.

Ferron couldn’t get his mind off it. The King and Queen were good rulers, but their opinions were swayed heavily by the Council. If he couldn’t get at least half of the Councillors on his side, the funding of the army would go ahead – at the expense of the smaller villages in the north.

"Curse them!" he shouted in frustration. It didn’t matter that the sand was wet. He wasn’t hungry anyway. Ferron threw his food onto the ground and kicked at the sand. With one last shout of anger, he stalked off down the beach, sorting out his thoughts.

* * * * * *

Ugul was surprised. Surprised that the man had shown up on a wet day, and surprised at his anger. Oddly, though, it wasn’t the same sort of anger that Ugul felt towards the world. It was... different. Just another intangible feature that made the man so enticing.

Suddenly, the man started walking quickly down the beach. Was he leaving? So soon? Or would he come back? If Ugul could have known what was making the man angry, he would have felt better. Perhaps he was moving away... that would explain why he was upset, and why he would have bothered coming down to the beach on a wet day... for one last look.

Ugul had to find out.

He was going to do it.

He was going to talk to the man.

Ugul dipped into the water, his blue head and shell protruding from the surface. As he moved quickly to the beach, his form melded, changed, and he took the human form he usually took when walking among them. It wasn’t long before he was stepping out of the water, the man far up the beach, ahead of him. How could he get the man’s attention?

Well, the man seemed to be pure, and nice. Nice humans were always the easiest to manipulate.

* * * * * *

The shout of pain made Ferron jump. He wheeled around to see the source, and saw someone lying at the waters edge, writhing in the sand. He was shocked to see someone else at the beach. Not only was it a less then prime day to be at the beach, but Ferron had never before encountered anyone else in this particular section. It was secluded by cliffs and trees, and he had always assumed that he was the only person that came to visit it.

He jogged over to the man and knelt beside him. "Sir, are you alright? Do you need help?"

The man was holding his leg, and was wearing nothing more than swimming shorts. Swimming? In this weather? Ferron realized that the man was not very old, and could very well be a year or two younger than he was. The man’s tanned skin covered his taught muscles. Ferron also thought that the man was... quite striking.

"No... well... maybe. I was just getting into the water to go for a swim and, I think I was bitten by something." The man winced in pain, still holding his leg.

"Here, let me see. I have a couple potions that may be able to help."

Ferron gently grasped the mans hands, moving them away from the source of pain. The hands were smooth, and Ferron felt a slight tingling when he touched them. Ignoring that, he examined the leg, but saw nothing.

"There’s no mark or anything, so you were probably stung by a jellyfish or something. Just give me a minute, and I’ll take care of it." He pulled a Heal potion out of his pouch, and dabbed at the man’s leg. After he has applied the liquid, he rubbed it into the skin, moving slowly up and down.

Ferron put the plug back in the potion and stood. "There. How’s that?" The man stretched his leg and smiled broadly, standing as well.

"That’s perfect. I can’t feel a thing. Thank you very much!"

The man was smiling at Ferron, and seemed to be looking, examining, his face. Ferron returned the smile and tried to repress the flushness he was sure was going to his face. He inwardly chided himself for being so affected by the man standing before him. He was glad there was no one in the Council that made him feel this way. He was, in essence, a diplomat. He prided himself on his ability to hide his weaknesses.

The man broke the silence. "My names Ugul. What’s yours?"

"Ugul? I haven’t heard that name before."

"I’m not from around here. Just... passing through."

Ferron felt a pang of disappointment. "Oh? A visitor? I’m Ferron."

"Ferron..." Ugul seemed to be mulling the name over. "Ferron... That’s an amazing name. I’ve never heard it before either. You’re very lucky."

"Oh, I... thank you. I’ve never really thought much of it."

"Would you like to continue your walk? I’d be happy to join you. I noticed you before I was going for the swim, but I didn’t want to disturb you. It seemed like something was bothering you." Ferron smiled again.

"I’d love the company."

* * * * * *

Ugul was more than pleased with Ferron. He was just as Ugul had imagined. Very smart, very innocent. A crusader for his people, it seemed. And he wasn’t violent at all. Ugul couldn’t remember a day when violence wasn’t a part of his life. Ferron continues to speak.

"And so, I’m just thoroughly frustrated with the whole Council. Our people need things more important than troops. We already have a large army. What we don’t have is enough water in three of our villages in the Babil mountains. With the money from the armies we could build an aqueduct, and have money still left over." Ferron looked at Ugul, who was simply watching Ferron. "I’m boring, I know. I appologize."

"Oh, on the contrary, Ferron. You are far from boring me. I’m finding this all quite interesting. Your points are very sound. I don’t understand why the other Councillors don’t agree with you."

"Most of them are so old, that’s the problem. They’ve always been used to funding the army above all else, so that’s what they continue to do."

Ugul smiled, and wondered what Ferron would say if he told him how old he was. Ferron hadn’t likely met a 700 year old human before. Though, Ugul wasn’t really a human. "And you don’t think you can convince them otherwise?"

"I’m trying. Maybe I can. I don’t know, it’d be a lot easier just to be rid of them all."

Ugul smiled. "I’m sure it would be."

There would be no way for Ferron to get rid of the Councillors. But there was no problem for Ugul to do it. It would be a very nice gift for Ferron if all the Councillors were killed.

The two continued walking and talking for some time. When it was time for Ferron to get back to the castle, Ugul extended his hand.

"It was very nice to meet you Ferron."

Ferron took his hand. "Yes, likewise." They shook hands, but Ugul didn’t let go.

"Would you like to meet here again tomorrow? For lunch, perhaps?"

Ferron stopped for a minute, and then, hesitantly, said, "Sure. That would be good. I’ll... meet you here at noon tomorrow, then."

As he walked off, Ugul stood on the beach, watching him. Ferron looked back once, and waved. Ugul waved back, a wicked gleam in his eye.

* * * * * *

Councillor Yeaver flipped through his parchments again. All of his proposals for the military reinforcements were sitting in front of them. Yeaver used to be a general of the Eblan Army, and he was a brilliant military tactician. His recommendations to the King and Queen would ensure absolute supremacy of Eblan’s military forces. Some of the councillors, notably Councillor Ferron, simply didn’t understand the importance of having a strong standing army ready at all times. They hadn’t had to fight in any wars, like Yeaver, so they couldn’t understand.

Not that it mattered for now. Ferron would never get the support he needed to stop Yeaver’s recommendations to his Liege.

He was shaken from his thoughts by a knock at the door. "One moment please," he said, wondering who would be coming to his door at such an hour of the night. If it was Ferron, again, he would have the young man reprimanded. Challenging a fellow Councillor in the Senate was one thing, but nagging them at home was quite another.

The old man opened the door to see not Ferron, but some other young man. "Yes, can I help you?"

"May I step in please," said the man, "these castle hallways are so cold at night."

"I’m sorry, but I make it a habit not to let complete strangers into my quarters. Could you please give me your name and purpose? And how you got to this part of the castle? It’s restricted to the public."

"You’re Councillor Yeaver, right?"

"Yes. Why? What’s the meaning of this?"

"Oh, nothing. Just that you are exactly the person I wanted to see."

The man extended his arm and gave Yeaver one seemingly gentle push, yet it threw him far into the room. Yeaver hit the floor and there was a crack. He screamed in pain. Something was broken.

Yeaver looked up as the man walked inside and closed the door. "Hello Councillor. My name is Ugul. I’m a friend of Ferron’s. I’m afraid I can’t let someone like you continue to live when you are so obviously trying to crush his future."

"What are you talking about!? Please, don’t hurt me! I can give you gold!"

Ugul laughed loudly. "Gold? Gold?! Gold matters not, to this Kainazzo!"

In a quick motion, the human Ugul bled away and in it’s place was a much larger creature. It’s blue skin was wet and shone. Yeaver cried out even more.

"Worry not, Councillor. You won’t be around to feel the pain much longer." Ugul’s eye’s glistened and the air tingled, signaling the use of magic.

* * * * * *

The next day, Ugul waited on the beach impatiently. He wanted Ferron to get there now; he couldn’t figure out what was taking so long. Surely Ferron would be pleased with what Ugul had done..

Just as Ugul was getting angry, and thinking he may have to leave, he saw Ferron emerge from the line of trees at the edge of the sand. Ugul smiled and yelled a greeting, running over to Ferron. Ferron merely smiled at the sight of Ugul, and it looked as if he had a hard time managing that.

When he reached Ferron, Ugul grabbed his hands, holding them tightly. "Ferron. You came!" Ferron didn’t react the way Ugul had been expecting. Something was wrong. "Aren’t you happy to see me?"

"Oh, I am," Ferron replied, "but... something terrible has happened."

Ugul forgot all about his present to Ferron. "What happened!? What’s wrong!?" Ferron’s lips quivered slightly as he tried to speak. Ugul pulled him closer. "Tell me."

"It’s the Councillors... they... they’ve all been murdered. All of them except me."

"... What?"

Tears formed in Ferron’s eyes. "They’re all dead. All of them! Some of my best friends were... Without the Councillors the King and Queen -- the kingdom -- will suffer! And the guards, they think may have something to do with it, it’s just –"

"Well, you did, Ferron." Ugul let go of Ferron who had been supporting himself on Ugul.

Ferron looked up at the taller man. "What do you mean? Of course I didn’t, I would never want them killed! They’re my friends, my colleagues!"

"But you said yesterday that you’d like it if you could have gotten rid of them."

Ferron paused, and stepped back from Ugul. "What?..."

"You said you wanted them gone. I made them go away. I thought you’d be pleased."

"You... you killed them all?!" Ferron stepped back further from Ugul, horror crossing his face. There was something about the way Ugul had so easily confessed that told Ferron it wasn’t a lie. "You did it!? But, how?!"

"The how is not important. The fact is that I did it. There’s no proof that you had any part in it, so don’t worry. Now you’ll be the only advisor to the King and Queen. And all the new Councillors thet hire will be young, like you."

"You killed my friends! You killed a part of my kingdom!" Ugul moved to take a hold of Ferron in a soothing mannor, but he pulled away. "Get away from me. Monster!"

Ugul stood still. His eyes narrowed. "What did you call me?"

"A monster! You disgust me! I’ll have the guards after you at once!"

"They won’t find me. And Frankly, I must say I’m quite disappointed in you. I thought you’d thank me. It is what you wanted. Then again, you stupid humans never can decide what you actually want." Confusion and panic took Ferron as he realized he might be in danger. "Oh, that’s right. You’re too stupid to realize. I’m not like you. I’m not a person."

"No..."

"Yes. I’ve been watching you for a long time. From the water. You see, I thought you were different. I thought you’d be a good companion. I guess I was wrong."

Ferron turned and started to run, but Ugul caught him quickly, and threw him several yards towards the shore. Ferron landed in the sand, but quicky got up.

"No, no, I would make a good companion... Just let me go and –"

"So you can get that stupid army? I don’t think so. But you’re going to wish you had a big army at your precious castle now, I’ll guarantee you that. I’m going to do to your castle the same as I do to you."

"Please,"

"You were so beautiful. So pure. It’s a shame that you turned out the way you did. But I guess it shouldn’t have been surprising. And now, it’s time that you go."

Ferron watched in terror as Ugul changed form. The human was gone, and in its place was a creature at least ten times the size him. It’s slick blue shell glistened in the sun, and the muscles in the massive legs rippled with power.

It’s mouth pulled back in a garish smile, revealing row upon row of pointed teeth. Ferron let out a noiseless scream.

"Goodbye Ferron." There was a loud rushing noise, and Ferron turned around just in time to see the wave smash into him with enough force to snap his spin, and break bones throughout his body. The water pulled away, leaving Ferron’s broken form lying in the wet sand. Ugul crawled over to him, and looked with some regret at the dead man. And then, without hesitation, he began to eat.

* * * * * *

It was just after nightfall. Ugul pulled his bulk out of the surf of the water and onto the sand near Castle Eblan. The air was still, and he couldn’t hear much of anything.

Except some breathing.

Ugul turned to face the person that had appeared near him, thinking it would be his first victim. He was somewhat surprised with what he saw. It was a human, but in elaborate dark armor, and much more imposing than most mere people were. Ugul could sense the power the human held.

"You are Ugul." the man said in a booming voice.

"Yes, that is me. Who, may I inquire, are you?"

"My name is Lord Golbez. I have a proposition for you."

"I’m afraid I’m occupied for the time being."

"Oh yes, you plan on destroying Eblan castle. How quaint. You won’t succeed you know. And you will be killed."

"I realize there is great risk. But I will kill much of them, I know. Besides, –"

"You are the last of your kind, and so if you perish it will end the loneliness."

This Golbez... he knew. He knew all about Ugul. "... Yes. Human’s are stupid creatures. If I kill many of them, my death will carry purpose."

"Kainazzo, what if I gave you another option. What if I said you would be able to aide me in something that would mean suffering for all peoples of this world."

Ugul pondered. He knew this man had great power. Perhaps what he was saying had merit.

"I need you for a very special task too, and only you can do this task effectively."

"And what is this task?"

A sense of satisfaction seem to radiate from Golbez. "Have you ever heard of Baron?"

x x x x x

It never ceased to give pleasure to Ugul.

He was the last of the Kainazzo, and he was sitting on the throne of the most powerful country in all the world. He had the airships at his command. He was in charge of so much. As far as he saw it, he was easily the most important of the Four Fiends. And he was pleased.

The door to the massive throne room swung open and the Captain Baigan stepped through, closing it behind him. Ugul was the only one in the castle that knew that Baigan also had a little secret.

"Your highness," the Captain bowed before Ugul, "Cecil has returned."

"He has it then?"

"Yes, my Liege. But, he seems to have developed a somewhat... rebellious air."

Bah. That Cecil was becoming an increasing thorn in Ugul’s side. He was always questioning Ugul’s orders. That angered him. However... there was something about the Dark Knight that intrigued Ugul... it reminded him somewhat of what brought him to the wretch, Ferron, though. So Ugul was able to burry it with hate.

He pondered a moment. There was no way he could let Cecil stay in command of the Red Wings, that much was sure. But perhaps Cecil could serve a purpose with another matter Golbez had entrusted to Ugul.

"Very well Captain, bring him in."

Stupid humans. They would all pay.