Edge's Quest

Chapter Two: Friends

Rydia realized what she was doing as soon as her feet had left the stone ledge of the window. Things seemed to move in slow motion. She snapped out of her despair induced trance, and her resolve cleared. I'm really going to die. I never thought it would end this way… Goodbye everyone… I'm sorry. But… this is the only way I can be free.

The Caller closed her eyes as time moved faster, and her descent quickened. She plummeted for the emerald grass below, a determined look, and a smile on her face. A small scream emanated from her as her flight was abruptly stopped as she passed a window. A strong arm encircled her slender waist. Although Rydia couldn't see who it was, she recognized the voice.

"Don't do this."

"Why are you here? I told you to go back!"

"I did."

"Then why? Why are you back? Why did you keep me from my freedom?"

"Rydia, be quiet, you're screaming."

The voice was a beautiful low tenor, clear and strong. It was also dead serious. Rydia scowled and shrieked. "IS IT SO MUCH THAT I WANT TO DIE?!"

"No, you don't."

He was starting to piss Rydia off. "If it weren't for you, I'd be dead!" She tried to twist around to face her rescuer.

His grip tightened dangerously. "If you jump, I'm going to have to jump after you."

Rydia's anger cleared. "You'll what?"

"You heard me. You jump, I jump. It's that simple."

"Why would you do that for me? I've been living with the man of this castle, I've never said a kind word to you, and after I sent you away—"

"You can't fool me, Rydia. I know you too well. Can I pull you inside now?"

"NO! LET ME DIE!"

The man sighed. "Why do you want to die, Rydia? I remember you as the strong one who overcame everything, who was the one to tell the rest of us to stop arguing and crying like children."

Rydia's tears returned. "You'll never understand."

"I really don't want to have to jump after you, but if you want to keep falling, I will follow you."

The door to the room swung open, and several soldiers, as well as Blaine burst in. "Seize him!" the man shouted.

"No!" Rydia cried as she was pulled in the window by the strong arms. He immediately pushed her behind him, protecting her.

"Don't worry," he said with a cute grin.

"No…" she murmured as the scene unfolded in front of her. She looked at the rescuer.

He was as handsome as she remembered him, even moreso with the five months that had passed since Zeromus' defeat. Loose gray-blue clothing, blue-black hair, dark eyes that seemed to see everything, somewhat sharp nose, and a well proportioned mouth – all as she remembered from his last visit, where she had so coldly sent him away. His physique was still well-toned and developed, his skin still a soft tan.

"How dare you come to my castle to try and murder Lady Rydia!" Blaine accused.

Rydia saw the man pull his ninja mask over his nose and mouth before turning to his accusers. Although the mask covered his mouth, Rydia knew that he was smiling. Why is he doing this? I… is he setting me free? I can't die without knowing…

"Baron shall hear of this attempt on the Lady's life, ninja," Blaine sneered. He turned to his men. "Kill him. The kingdom of Baron will have nothing to do with such criminals."

Rydia again could sense the grin. With a shink of metal, the ninja drew a shimmering long-bladed ninja sword that Rydia recognized as the Murasame. "Well, gentlemen?" the ninja goaded.

"NO!" Rydia shouted, stepping in front of the ninja's gleaming sword. "To get to him you'll have to go through me. I doubt your King would like to hear of how you killed one of his close personal friends." The guards stopped, puzzled. "Besides, he didn't push me. I tripped, and he saved me. Isn't that right?" Rydia gazed at the ninja intently.

A familiar, knowing glitter in his eyes showed he understood. "Of course."

"Now, I suggest you show a little more respect for the King of Eblan, soldiers," Rydia said, her voice stronger now, and more commanding. She turned and pulled off the ninja's mask, revealing none other that Edge himself, complete with sarcastic grin. The guards immediately sank to their knees, begging for forgiveness. After all, the Eblanian king was also a close, personal friend of Cecil's, and Dragoon Kain's. No one wanted to be in disfavor with the king of the world's most powerful nation, and the world's most powerful General. It just wasn't done.

"Oh, get up. You were just doing your jobs. I was here, trying to find Ry-chan, and I startled her. She tripped, I saved her. Nothing big. But you," he said, looking at Blaine with a disarming grin, "I'm gonna hafta talk with Kain about you."

Blaine stiffened, realizing he was losing a battle that he had no hope of winning. A battle of wits with the the legendarily dashing King of Eblan.

"I'm gonna take Rydia to the town of Baron for some dinner. She may or may not be back later." With another smile, he swept Rydia off her feet, and ran her out of Castle Mist.

"You sure know how to make an exit, don't you, Edge?"

Another smile. "But of course, Rydia, dear."

"Why?"

"I knew something was wrong when I visited all those months ago. It took me awhile to get over it… but when I did I got angry."

Rydia blushed slightly. Edge's anger was as legendary as his gallant yet womanizing ways.

"I wanted to come back with as little fanfare as possible, so I didn't take my airship." Edge paused for reaction.

"You have an airship? Has Eblan recovered so quickly?"

Edge shrugged. "We're doing well, but we have a LONG way to go. Kain's been a major help, getting the monsters out of the castle. The airship… well… Cecil kinda let me keep the Falcon after it was repaired, and the drill was taken off."

Rydia decided to interrupt then. "You still haven't answered my question, King," she said lightly, although her question had more weight. "Why save me?"

Edge never faltered. "We're friends, right?"

Rydia nodded. "Friends."