Edge's Quest

Chapter 1: No Way Out

The woman walked through the hallway of the almost empty castle, her footsteps echoing hollowly against the castle's gray stone. Her stride was purposeful and quick. The hem of her pale green silk dress rustled slightly at her movement, and the heels of her deep green suede boots clicked on the ground. Her curly green hair hung loosely around her pale face, and her large, dark green eyes seemed more luminous than usual with tears.

As the woman walked down the hall, her pace quickened into a run, all reserve and composure vanishing. She reached the guest room she had been staying in quickly, and she slammed the heavy oaken door. The tears now streamed down the woman's beautiful face in unheeded rivers. She threw herself on her large bed, and openly sobbed.

Rydia figured there was no way out.

Cecil and Rosa were happy in Baron. Kain had gone off on a journey to find himself and overcome he guilt he harbored for betraying them. He had returned to Baron, and was received with open arms. He was happy, training the few Dragoons left.Yang and his wife were happy in Fabul. Cid was happy in Baron, watching Cecil and Rosa rule as he grew old. Tellah was happy in the afterlife with Anna, or so she assumed. Edward was happy rebuilding Damcyan, Edge was happy rebuilding Eblan. The Sylph fairies were happy in their caves, as were the Summoned Monsters. Giott, Luca, and the rest of the dwarves were happy in the Underground.

It seemed everyone was happy except for her.

Oh, Rydia had been fine at first. Almost immediately after the defeat of Zemus and Zeromus, and FuSoYa's and Golbez's return to the moon, Cecil and Rosa had been married. Everyone had been invited to the wedding. Rydia had returned to the upper world from the Land of the Summoned Monsters, where she had been teaching the monsters in the ways of humans and magic. She supposed she had been happy there.

…no way out…

She never thought she would turn out this way. Not even when her mother's dragon had been taken down by an unsuspecting Cecil and Kain. Not even when Leviatan had attacked the ship headed for Baron. Not even when fighting Golbez when he was possessed by Zemus. Not even when things looked hopeless in the Lunar Caves towards the end of the battle with Zeromus.

…everyone was happy…

Rydia had had so many dreams. She planned on spending some of her life in the Land of the Summoned Monsters, learning and teaching. She planned on visiting Cecil and Rosa, on visiting Yang, the Sylphs, Edward, Giott and the dwarves, Edge…

…no way out…

She didn't know where it had gone wrong. Things should've been easy for her, she thought. She did help save the world from Zeromus, didn't she? She, Rydia, one of the last Callers in the known world. She, Rydia, the girl-turned-woman who was a master of black magic. She, Rydia, who could call the King and Queen of the Summoned Monsters at will. She, Rydia, who had grown up so quickly, whose mind had to run faster than light to catch up with her body.

…everyone was happy…

Rydia supposed she should be happy. After all, with the few Callers left spreading what little knowledge they had, and the construction of Castle Mist near the mountain pass which ensured her hometown's safety…

…no way out…

She hated the person she had become. A visitor in Castle Mist, a guest of the chancellor there who had been appointed by Cecil when she had turned down his offer… a man named Blaine, or something like that… he was so handsome, and had taken a liking to her.

Every day, for almost a year, she had lived in castle – Castle Mist. She had done nothing with her life. Every time she tried to leave, she was coerced into staying for "one more day"… one day that stretched into one week, into one month… dreary existence. Sure, she visited Cecil and Rosa, occasionally. Sure, she stayed at Castle Baron once in a while when Yang, Edge, and Edward visited. But to them, she was a different person.

She was trapped.

She didn't know how or when, but she couldn't leave Castle Mist.

Rydia remembered one night, he had come to her in her chambers, and had kissed her. She had dreamed of Blaine kissing her for a long time. After all, he was handsome, wealthy, and smart. Rydia knew that she was taking a superficial standpoint in terms of companionship, but with his duties as the caretaker of Castle Mist, she didn't have too much time to get to know him.

She hated the kiss.

It was nice, and she guessed, if she had had more experience with kissing, she would've ranked it as a damn good kiss.

She despised it.

Blaine, as some men are prone to do, took her look of self-disgust as seduction, and tried to get even further.

Rydia hadn't meant to hurt him. Calling the Chocobos had been a quick reflex. A reflex that the chancellor would be feeling for weeks.

Blaine had somewhat forgiven her, but it was obvious to Rydia that his infatuation with her was as superficial as hers with him. And she couldn't figure out why the kiss with Blaine had left her feeling guilty…

She supposed Blaine had had his wizards cast an obediance spell on her, or else she would've left long ago, and returned to Leviatan and Asura.

Shortly after the Chocobo incident, Edge had come to visit from Eblan. Rydia had been so glad to see him, she was shocked. After all, all he did was hit on her. She had hated him during the whole incident with Golbez, the Elements, and Zeromus. He told her that Eblan was coming along great, and she should come to visit and "grace Eblan's cold stone with her beauty", as the King had put it. Rydia said her duties at Castle Mist were too time consuming, and that she didn't really want to go. Edge had left, hurt at her coldness. That had been three months ago.

Rydia guessed it was a battered wife syndrome, minus the "battered" part. Sure, Blaine abused her verbally, but they had never been an item, so she shouldn't've been scared. And she was one of the most powerful black wizards in the world. What did she have to be afraid of from the Chancellor Blaine, who probably got where he was by sucking up to Cecil and Rosa? They could be that na�ve sometimes.

The Caller didn't know, but she was afraid of Blaine.

She was also afraid of having no way out.

She wanted to leave the castle.

Rydia stood up weakly from the bed, and stumbled through the castle, up to the roof. She usually went to the roof of Castle Mist to think, to calm down, to regain her bearings. A bird flew by her head. Now there's an idea… she thought, smiling to herself. What will they think? They'll probably say I tripped… to hide from the embarrassment that this will bring them. What will Rosa say? Yang? Cecil, even?

Rydia pulled herself clumsily onto the ledge, unsteady due to the spiked heels of her boots. She took a deep breath, and down. The roof was pretty high up… about three or four stories…

Rydia let out the breath, and leapt from the ledge.