Dark Moon
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: Cyhirae

Let confusion reign unfettered! not. -Originally , I was going to write all three threads of this story all together in one long chapter- but then decided, for this scene, I'd better handle each "room" seperately. Keep in mind all three of these chapters: "The Mind's Silence", "Abandoned Heart" and "Shattered Soul" are all taking place simultaneously. This chapter deals with Golbez & er..Golbez. Is..a tad confusing and abrupt, but that was the feeling I was going for. I want you readers to try to guess what this Balance is too, y'know. ^_~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-The Mind's Silence-

So how do you coerce yourself into talking about something....? That ancient saying "I have met the enemy and he is I" has taken on a whole new meaning in this little adventure... Though I have never felt threatened by this other save that once in Cecil's dream. Why would I be so different there than here..?

And WHERE did that little fool of a wizard go? It's not like there's all that many places here for him to vanish to, or was the dream truly that large outside of this place? After all...when I had first come here, I was far from the castle. But ever since- I have been here.

"You are not me...and this...is it really Baron? Or just a nice and grisley scene to try to keep me from wandering about?"

I leave the cloaked figure be now- instead turning to head for the doors. I had not thought to check the outside again..I had seen no point in doing so. If this was a dream after all- then only the area I was in existed at the time....right?

To my surprise, my "other" self follows, nodding slightly in agreement- actually managing to look relieved and apprehensive at the same time. He glances again to the figure, then moves to open the doors for me, revealing hall beyond.

"Yes..I think that may actually be the better idea..."

A second glance to the table and it's silent figure, and then he's out the door, leading the way. I can't deny some irritation at that...just when I had felt I'd finally taken charge of things, he whisks them out of my control once again.

I lived most of my life without things under my control. It's not a state I particuarly wish to return to....

We eventually emerge into the courtyard, where the Dragoon and his fellow guardsman stand as useless in death as they'd been in life..And the nightsky has spread it's viel over us, littered with glittering stars...save where a single black pearl blots them out. Were it not for those hidden stars- we wouldn't see it at all...

"That is the end of this world, Golbez......"

Well. I was never aware I had a touch for the melodramatic. I glance over to my other self- who is watching the moon with angry, narrowed eyes. I would almost say he hated it if I knew no better...

"Perhaps if you explained a bit better to me just how this world will be ended by a piece of rock hovering in the sky, I will better understand...."

He doesn't respond for a good amount of time- then only shakes his head and begins walking. Frustrated- I follow, intent on not letting him slip away and leaving me to ponder over his nonsensical words... We leave the courtyard and enter the blasted, frozen town. There are no people here now- and when he stops, it's at the edge of a great ravine I can clearly recall NOT being there when I had taken this rather a dull little city over. Nor..is there anything beyond that ravine. Some weeks ago my dream had shown me standing on a mountain in the direction we now face...and there is nothing there.

No mountain, no plain....not even a sky.

"What is this..? You talk about balances every time we meet but it makes NO sense- what can that have to do with this?"

I gesture angrily to the chasm before us - and yet he still refuses to reply. Instead, he looks behind us, back to the castle....and moves to grab me. Surprised, I can't offer resistance before he's shoved me onto a small, crumbling bit of rock over that bottomless fall...his grip the only thing keeping me from falling.

Is it true when you die in a dream, you die in reality? I don't think I wish to test that...

"What are you doing?! Did you bring me here just to kill me after all? Just like in Cecil's dream?!"

He stands silent for a time- eyes closing as I speak. Nor do they open when his voice echoes through my mind...

This world is already ended. See what came to pass here....you must solve the Balance before it comes to pass for YOU as well....

"As well"? I feel puzzelment- a sensation I have never much favored, begin to creep into my mind when the dream begins to shift- the ice and walls crumbling away around me- the ground from under me. For all that this is a mere dream, the feeling of falling is by no means something my mind alone conjured up. I feel myself panic as I try to catch hold of the vanishing earth- with only these words as my "comfort" while I fall....

Be strong and have faith in your brother, Golbez....You both have a part to play in this game, as do I. He must play his part for now...

Now I know that wasn't me. EITHER me. So who...?

It seems my question to myself is going quite unanswered however. The new voice makes no reply as I tumble down into nothing- instead hearing from high above-

"What have you done?!"

Well I'd like to know as well....

And that is my final thought as a darkness deeper than the void the moon had flown through engulfs me.......

(Continued in: Abandoned Heart)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO he's not dead- but he'll be a tad seperated from the others for awhile. fair warning.