DREAM - Dream sequence

Chapter 2: The second massacre.

_______________________________________________________________________________

“How is he?” Cecil asked, dolefully.

“He’s lost a lot of blood. It’s a miracle he’s lasted this long,” Rosa shook her head. “ My magic bounced right off him. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. You weren’t the one who wounded him.”

Cecil paced towards where his brother lay unconscious on the inn’s bed. He took Golbez’ warm hand cautiously, as if he was afraid he would bite. Golbez’ eyelids stirred slightly and he mumbled something incoherently. “Golbez? Can you hear me? It’s Cecil. Are you there?” Cecil spoke hopefully. Golbez did not respond. Rosa stroked Cecil’s arm sympathetically from behind him. “I thought he was waking up…” Cecil whispered.

“We should leave for the night. Maybe when we return, Golbez will be fully recovered, hmm?” Rosa whispered, sweetly in Cecil’s ear.

“I guess so…” Cecil sighed, turning to leave. Cecil hesitated at the doorway, casting one last look at his comatose brother before closing the door behind him.

“How is that man in there, my Queen? He looked really unwell…” Cecil heard the innkeeper ask Rosa, concerned.

“He’s lost a lot of blood, but I’ve managed to quell the bleeding.” Rosa was heard to reply, before a loud crash was heard outside, followed by terrified screams. The two Lunarian children scrambled from their bedroom, crying. “They’re back!” CeRa squealed, terrified.

“The Eclipsed!” Cecil hissed, grabbing the hilt of Legend and preparing to fight. The Innkeeper looked through a window, and gasped. “My God! Natalie was out there!” She wailed

“ Excuse me, if I may interfere?” Rosa interrupted, “Natalie is in training to become a white mage, is she not?” The Innkeeper nodded tearfully. “Well, I can safely say she knows more than enough white magic to survive an attack like this. You have no need to worry. However, King Cecil and I must leave. Please take good care of the injured. Goodbye. Cecil, let’s go!”

Cecil whipped Legend from its sheath and started towards the door.

“Wait!” the twins piped up.

“Please take us with you,” CiMon pleaded.

“We can help,” added CeRa.

‘These are some brave kids… Standing up to the same people who destroyed their home’ Cecil mused.

“What do you say?” He turned to Rosa, who smiled back.

“Let’s go!” She nodded. They left the inn together.

“Do be careful, your majesties,” the Innkeeper cautioned as the door closed behind the four.

_______________________________________________________________________________

“There’s…only one…left…” FuSoYa encouraged. He did not notice the last soldier charging before it was too late. The soldier’s sword pierced the elderly sorcerer’s heart, FuSoYa countered with one last Meteo spell then they both fell to the ground.

Golbez knelt beside FuSoYa, who was still breathing and scooped his uncle into his arms. A lump formed in his throat and his head spun with panic.“Uncle FuSoYa? You can’t die, not yet! I won’t let you! FuSoYa? Come on old man, we’ll go back to Gaia, and take you to a white mage. We’ll avenge the Lunarians. You were right. I cannot do this without you…”

FuSoYa spoke. However, it was not his voice. “You killed me…murderer… “ Said Davon’s voice. “I had no choice…” Golbez retorted. FuSoYa’s voice distorted again, this time the old sage Tellah croaked “You killed me…murderer…”

“I’m sorry.” Golbez choked. Next, a woman’s voice screeched,

“You killed me…murderer…” This was followed by the cloaked soldier’s voice

“ You killed me…murderer…” The voices chanted these words over and over, soon falling into a chant of “murderer… murderer…murderer…”

Over the anguished chanting, Golbez could hear Zemus’ voice scornfully chanting: “Once a killer, always a killer” …and repeating.

The voices and Zemus began to chant louder and louder. “Stop…please.”

“Death!!!” Shrieked Zemus gleefully.

“Stop it…” Golbez said weakly. “I’m sorry…”

“Murderer!“

“You sick bastard!!!”

“Sorry doesn’t bring us back.”

Looking down, Golbez could see that FuSoYa’s body had disappeared, and in it’s place lay Golbez’ old helmet, its eyeholes glowing red. A sinister laugh, his own from two years ago rang out amongst the chanting. Amidst it all Cecil‘s voice yelled: “How could that bastard be my brother?”

“No…no more…I‘m sorry, please forgive me…no more death…no…more…death…” Golbez begged as the dream faded around him...

_______________________________________________________________________________

Golbez awoke in a cold sweat, gasping for air. ‘Was that all a nightmare?’ He thought. ‘…Or were the Lunarians truly attacked?’

“FuSoYa…?” Golbez croaked, suddenly becoming aware of a throbbing pain in his left arm and in his chest. Attempting to sit up, he noticed he was lay on a bed, although the room was not fully visible, it was dimly lit. Looking at his left arm, he saw it was covered by a thin bandage, a small trickle of blood had soaked into the cloth. Golbez’ heart sank. ‘So everything really did happen…’

A wave of dizziness suddenly overcame Golbez, and he crashed back onto his pillows, exhausted. No sooner had Golbez lay down, than the door to Golbez’ bedroom creaked open and in stepped a plump, red-haired woman of around fifty years of age.

The woman picked up a small pile of books on a shelf and dusted a small table with her free hand, humming an uneven tune to herself the whole time. As she turned to face the bed where Golbez lay to see him staring back at her, she shrieked and dropped the books she held. Golbez jumped to pick them up for her. “ Sorry I scared you,” he mumbled, his voice still hoarse. The woman made a ‘don’t be silly’ motion with her hand, and reached to take the books from Golbez. “You didn’t scare me. Just gave me a shock is all. I didn‘t expect you to be awake. How do you feel?”

Golbez smiled gently “I’m fine, thanks.”

This was a lie. Golbez still felt faint and wanted nothing more than to fall asleep.

“Where am I?” He asked wearily, gripping the wooden bedpost for support.

“You’re in Baron’s inn. Excuse me for saying so, but you look very ill. Baron is under attack from The Eclipsed. It isn’t wise to leave the inn, especially in your condition.”

“The Eclipsed?” Golbez asked, a feeling of dread suddenly washing over him.

“Warriors cloaked in black. Totally ruthless and cruel. No-one knows what they fight for, but most believe they’re fighting for world domination. Some say they’re after something more but I don’t know, nor care.” The middle-aged woman said, turning her nose up.

‘Warriors in black… First the Lunarians, now Baron?’ Still using the bedpost as support, Golbez stood unsteadily. “You can’t leave! You must allow your wounds to heal. It’s dangerous!”

“The two children. Where are they?” Golbez asked impatiently.

“Why, they left with King Cecil and Queen Rosa just a half hour ago. You must stay!”

“No.”

“If you won’t stay for yourself, at least stay to keep me company.” The woman insisted.

Golbez blinked. Someone wanted his company? Did this woman even know who he was? He was about to reveal his identity when the woman cut in. “You’re very handsome, you know. Keep a lady company?” She fluttered her eyelids. Golbez’ mouth very nearly dropped open. Was this woman making a pass at him? Golbez felt slightly shaken and uncomfortable, but he disregarded his feelings in the hurry to find his brother and explain what had happened on the Moon. “Please, you must let me leave. I must find my brother.” He urged, once again becoming impatient. She looked offended. “If that’s the way you want to play things, fine. I’ll escort you to the door,” said the woman, taking Golbez by the right arm and marching boldly out of the room. The sudden burst of speed made Golbez’ chest wound ache. Once in the hallway, Golbez was thrown forward towards the door. As he stepped ! out into the burning streets, he heard the Innkeeper call “Come back safe, handsome!”

He shuddered.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Cecil looked around. All around him lay the bodies of his own people who were unfortunate enough to be on the streets when the Eclipsed struck. Even peasant children, who had been innocently playing, lay dead or dying. Baron had been prepared for the first attack in which many Baronians were taken as slaves and hostages. This attack, however, was completely unexpected, stronger and more ruthless. Cecil had no idea what it was they could possibly want this time.

“Slaughtered… Even the children…” He breathed, a feeling of failure as a King washing over him.

“Cecil! Watch out!” Rosa screamed suddenly, raising her bow. Cecil swung his sword in front of him. An Eclipsed soldier let out a howl, fell and lashed out with a sharp knife. Cecil felt something pierce his lower leg deeply. As a reflex, he thrust his sword downwards, and into the soldier’s back. Cecil fell. He noticed Rosa put her hand to his leg and heard her chant a healing spell. Soon, all of his pain dissipated, and Cecil was able to stand. “Rosa, thank you.” He smiled.

“It’s what I do, silly!” She replied, nudging him.

“Sorry to interrupt Sir Cecil, but shouldn’t we get moving?” CiMon piped up.

“Give me a break. What he’s trying to say is: Stop being so darn lovey-dovey!” Snapped CeRa.

“CeRa, they’ll have your head chopped off!” CiMon gasped, appalled. Rosa giggled. Cecil smiled again, despite the obvious danger around them.

All of a sudden, they heard a wail come from a narrow back alley. They followed.

A mousy-haired woman of about twenty-three knelt over a body, surrounded by ten Eclipsed.

“You have a choice, wench. Submit to slavery or die,” Snarled one.

“Piss off! Like Hell am I gonna work for ugly bastards like you!” She raged.

“You killed Marcus… What is it you assholes are after, anyway?”

“We do not submit to peasant wenches who are destined to die.” Sniffed the soldier, signalling to his fellow soldiers to attack.

Without warning, nine golden arrows flew from the shadows, hitting each soldier in turn. Each arrow had a strange white glow around them that made the woman’s skin tingle gently. ‘Holy arrows?’

“Queen Rosa? Is that you?”

“My soldiers! Holy arrows? I must inform Avila.” Whimpered the remaining soldier, disappearing.

“Are you hurt, Natalie?”

“No, my Queen. But…they… killed Marcus!!!” Wailed the young woman, bursting into tears.

Rosa put her arm around her older student. “Hey, it’s alright. We’ll get even with these people, I promise. Now, you head home.” Hushed Rosa.

“I don’t want to head home, Queen Rosa. I want to fight!”

“I guess there’s no stopping you… Please, fight with us.” Rosa grinned, extending out her hand. Natalie shook her hand firmly. “Let’s get these bastards,” She nodded, wiping away her tears.

“Cecil! Please wait!” Yelled a masculine, yet gentle voice from behind.

Cecil turned to see Golbez half running, half limping towards the five.

“Golbez?” Cecil wondered out loud.

“Aww, crap! That’s Golbez? Surely we don’t have to fight him, too?” Natalie moaned, stamping her foot.

“He’s a good guy!” CeRa protested. Natalie sniggered.

“Murderer of hundreds, thief of the crystals, good guy? Give me a break.”

“He’s-” Rosa started.

“An ally.” Cecil cut in, as Golbez caught up, panting heavily.

“Mister Golbez! Are you alright?” CiMon asked.

“I’m fine…Thank you…” Golbez panted.

“So, the great Dark Lord Golbez can become tired? He’s actually quite handsome…. What a waste!” scoffed Natalie. Golbez ignored her. An awkward silence fell on the group.

“Begging your pardon, Golbez but shouldn’t you be resting? You look ill.” Cecil said, cutting the silence.

“Really? I don’t feel ill.” Golbez lied. “I must tell you why I’m here.”

“My white magic bounced right off of you… There’s no way you could have made a full recovery without white magic or a blood transfusion. You had neither.” Stated Rosa.

“It was my headband. It absorbs all magical energy aimed at me, and uses it to make my magic stronger.”

“Golbez, I know about the massacre of the Lunarians. I know FuSoYa has…passed on. The Eclipsed attacked Baron some two weeks ago. They took the Big Whale and a great deal of slaves. We were…weakened. We could have done nothing to prevent this attack, or the attack on the Lunarians even if we had known.” Cecil spoke painfully, especially when FuSoYa was mentioned.

“That’s not all, brother.” Golbez said, flatly. Natalie gasped and began to speak “He’s your-“

Golbez unknowingly cut her off. She folded her arms. “These ‘Eclipsed’ destroyed the moon’s crystals. I wasn’t there to see, but I sensed they were gone the moment FuSoYa died. The Moon will not last long without them.” Golbez sighed, regretfully.

“What…will happen?” CiMon asked meekly, afraid that he would never see his home again.

“The Moon will … die. It will gradually lose its light, it will in time become a dark spot, eclipsing the sun.” Golbez said, sadly. CiMon sobbed.

“I’m sorry. There’s nothing we can do, now. ”

“So, Will Gaia die out, too? Will it eternally be night?” Cecil asked. Golbez was about to answer, but was cut off by a fuming Natalie. “I can’t believe you actually believe this guy! The Moon dying? Stupid, never-gonna-happen lies! Lies of an Eclipsed spy! He’s one of them, can’t you see? You can’t be evil one day and wake up full of goodness the next! He’s still as evil as the day he first killed, aren’t you!?” She spat. Golbez only stared downwards. “See? Guilty!”

Suddenly, a demented cackle was heard, followed by a whiplash. The group swivelled to face a cloaked woman surrounded by cloaked soldiers and holding a whip. “Dark Lord Golbez,” She purred.” An honor to meet you. I am Avila, and I’m here to play.”

To be continued…

 

Sorry about the delay, everyone. (Hey, it’s not like anyone cared.) I’m not going to make excuses, I couldn’t be bothered with this. However, the next chapter will most possibly be shorter and so won’t take as long. I’ve also regained my need to finish this story, so anyone who’s interested stay tuned.