Author’s note: So this is my little post- FFIV fic starring Golbez and Cecil, as seems to be the fashion. Spoilers more than likely abound. It is the first serious story I’ve ever wrote, so if you don’t think it is any good, please be gentle.

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any FFIV characters, but the “Black-cloaked warriors” and their leader, Davon belong to me. The Lunarian orphans belong to me too.

_______________________________________________________________________________

 Mini-Prologue: Slaughter

“Golbez…Golbez, wake up!” Came FuSoYa’s urgent cry, followed by a loud crash that sounded close.

Golbez’ forest-green eyes snapped open and he sat bolt upright, shocked.

“Are we here already?” Questioned the Dark Sorcerer sleepily, not fully awake.

“There is no time to explain! We must leave now!”

Golbez looked around. He noticed that half of the ceiling had fallen, crushing a good few beds, which he could only assume had been empty. Jumping off his bed, Golbez questioned FuSoYa again,

“What’s happening?”

“We have been attacked. Hurry, I’ll tell you as we walk.”

Golbez pulled on his boots, and hastily left the bedchamber with FuSoYa.

In the two years that had passed after Zemus‘ death, Golbez’ dress code had changed quite a bit. He no longer wore his dark armour and now wore deep blue Lunarian robes, with a grey-blue breastplate strategically placed over his chest to allow him to move. He wore black knee-length boots too. His face resembled a more mature Cecil, although he had elbow length black hair whereas his brother had shoulder length white hair. Golbez also wore a thin gold headband that had been his father, KluYa’s.

The sight that greeted the two as they stepped upon the moon’s surface was nothing short of shocking.

Hundreds of Lunarians had been brutally slain, their throats cut, and lay in rivers of their own blood. The ones who still lived were running and begging for their lives. Some were fighting back with magic, but were soon overcome by the strong intruders in black cloaks. Golbez felt his mouth go dry and questions rise in his throat. ~Who are these men, why are they attacking my father’s people, and what are they doing here?~ Golbez thought, but when he opened his mouth to speak, all that came out was a choked “Why…?”

“I don’t know, Golbez. I just…don’t…know.” FuSoYa responded.

Suddenly, a black-cloaked warrior launched himself at the two.

“Bleed!” he screamed, slashing at Golbez with a thin, sharp sword, and just missing.

Provoked, Golbez swivelled around to face the man, and uttered one deadly word…

“Meteo”

The man screamed as flaming rocks began to fall on him, crushing his bones, and burning his flesh.

Amazingly, the meteor shower did not kill the man. Instead, he began to laugh maniacally. Golbez , still out of control wrapped his hand around the wretch’s throat and shook him.

“Why are you attacking my father’s people?” he shouted.

“Heh…Because they are a threat…” answered the burned man.

Golbez let out an anguished cry, tightening his grip. “A threat to whom and in what way? How did you get here? ANSWER ME, WRETCH!”

The cloaked soldier spat his blood in Golbez’ eye. “Damn…you…Golbez…” With that, the soldier lapsed into death.

“Bastards…” Golbez hissed, turning to face FuSoYa.

“You killed him, Golbez,” FuSoYa scolded, his beard bristling.

“A threat? A threat? The Lunarians are the most peaceful people I’ve ever met! The only one who poses a threat here is me! The bastards!”

“Golbez, We must search for survivors. You’re in shock-” FuSoYa started

“I am not in shock! I’ve seen- hell, I’ve done worse! But, FuSoYa I am not going to stick around and watch the Lunarians die in cold blood. I want nothing more to do with innocent deaths.”

With that outburst, Golbez stalked away from a concerned FuSoYa, leaving his uncle staring hopelessly on.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Please read and review. Constructive criticism is accepted. Flames are not.